StatCounter

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Scooter Cannonball Training



With all the weirdness going on lately it felt good to get out on the scooter. Only part of the afternoon was free but I did knock out 150 miles. That included a couple of rest stops to cool down from the heat. 


The previous owner had purchased a nice top box for the back of the scoot. That looked great and all, but it had some downsides. One big issue was that the darn thing would pop open without warning, scattering my stuff all over the road. A bungee cord over the top usually stopped that from happening . . . usually. 


While it doesn’t look as slick I replaced the top box with a milk crate. That actually worked out great on my trip. One big advantage is that the crate easily holds a 2.5 gallon gas can, plus a whole lot of other stuff. The top box only really fit a 1.25 gallon can. 


My route took me all over the back roads of ME. Almost every time I use the motorcycle GPS I discover something new. Also, it’s one thing to mess around with the settings from the comfort of home. Making adjustments on the fly when hot and uncomfortable is something else. Watching videos from previous events really brought home the fact that I have to know all the ins and outs of my GPS. 


It looks like I can count on a ride to the start of the event. My daughter should be available to load the scoot on her truck and drive me across the country from NH to OR. That’s plan A. With the nature of these things it’s prudent to have a plan B and C. 


-Sixbears


2 comments:

  1. Ahh,the Ol' milk crate trick. Kinda less sexy than a store bought, pretty box,but they hold stuff. I have a Lucerne crate,from 1954 on the Kawasaki 450. It holds six one gallon jugs. 150 miles,, that's a Ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They hold stuff quite well.

      150 miles isn't much as I'll be looking at 400+ mile days. Still, it's a good way to sort out the system.

      Delete