StatCounter

Friday, June 24, 2016

To Market



Thursday was our first local farmer's market of the season. That might sound a bit late to some of my readers. However, since snowfall in May around here is common it takes some real effort to have produce in June. Thanks to greenhouses and hoops houses in in the fields they make it happen.

There's a lot of other locally produced items for sale at the market, not just vegetables. Some purists are offended but I rather like some of the arts and crafts available. For example a local potter has been doing some amazing work. She once made a steam punked themed coffee mug for me. It looked like it was constructed with rivets and washers, but was completely ceramic.

I usually spend a few bucks on locally produced meat. It's not cheap, but I'm willing to pay for humanely raised clean meat. The difference in taste is amazing.

Unfortunately, the local farmer is having a hard time getting help. So far he's had two of his new hires not even show up. One he caught sleeping in the fields . . . three times in one day. The farmer even offered me a job driving the hay truck. I could have started today. He's that desperate. Then again, if I said I'd show up, I'd show up. Apparently that counts for a lot these days.

In spite of my close brush with gainful employment, I really enjoyed the market. My lovely wife and I met up with a lot of people we haven't seen for some time. There was even some really good professional live music. The musician knows I'm a sailor so he played some Jimmy Buffett tunes.

We took the veggie van into town. The diesel tank sending unit started to plug up again. While it takes longer for the unit to plug up, there's still enough grit in the tank to clog the screens. No big deal as the veggie tank is now in good shape and that runs fine. If the weather is good tomorrow I'll flush the grit out of the diesel tank again.

We have some good weather in the forecast so there should be plenty of time for both work and play.

-Sixbears

9 comments:

  1. It is amazing how many people offer old fat men jobs just because if we said yes we would be there. you may want to consider the job. federal minimum Farm wages are up to 2.75 an Hour I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wrong looked it up you would get 7.25 farms are no longer exempt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't even ask what the guy was paying.

      Delete
  3. I love to go to Farmer's Markets - one never knows what might be found. Hubby doesn't like the idea of going, but always enjoys once he gets there. I'll take my wheelchair bound friend when I go visit her. It's a little hard on me, but her enjoyment makes it worthwhile ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to take your friend. Too often people forget about those with disabilities.

      Delete
  4. Maybe you should have taken then job, as long as it was under the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the day at my beach with my fiends and family instead. Took a bunch of kids for a ride on a sailboat. Kinda hard to give that up for a hot day in the fields.

      Delete
  5. Barter some of your labor for some of his locally produced meats. You are going to have to eat anyway.

    ReplyDelete