StatCounter

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Old List and Ideas



I’m a huge fan of notebooks. Most days I go around with a pocket sized one. There are larger ones kept at home. They are extremely handy for the way I live.

Note taking with electronic devices like tablets and smart phones just does not cut it for me. There’s something about putting pen to paper that activates my creativity. Of course, there’s also the fact that I have huge thumbs that don’t play well with a phone’s keyboard.

There was a technology that worked pretty well for me. Anybody remember Palm Pilots? Instead of a keyboard they had a stylus and a pad where you’d write in a simplified alphabet. Those devices had a learning curve, but I could rapidly take notes with one. There were programs that allowed for drawing and making sketches. The later ones even had color screens and wifi Internet connection. Too bad they went away when smart phones became popular. Smart phones just don’t have the same usability for a note taker like me, so it’s back to paper.

Every now and then I gather up all my scattered notebooks and consolidate things and arrange by category. For example: there’d be ideas for travel, boat improvements, house improvements and what not.

Another thing in those notebooks are “to do” lists. One thing that always amazes me is how many of those plans actually get accomplished. On a day to day basis, the list never seems to go down. Looking at the lists months or years later, a huge amount of stuff gets done.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. Yup. I've been a list maker for years and mark each thing off as it's accomplished. I've got a pocket notebook, too. The similarities are scary; aren't they? - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are. We are both of a certain age, so there is that.

      Delete
  2. There’s an app for that, Dad. ;)
    Come to think of it, the recently popular “bullet journaling” method might work well for you to organize your thoughts. Search the how-to’s. Set up takes a minute but folks who use it swear by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. La la la, I can't hear you. :) I don't want to learn.

      . . . Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I'm a list maker, too, and keep notebooks as well. One for travel, one for recipes, one for … But I have also a Samsung Note phone, although be it an old one. It has a stylus, pages to write and sketch upon, and organize into albums if you wish. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sixbears, I have a sailing question for you. With a good tailwind, how long would you guess it would take an old-time three masted ship, lightly loaded, to sail from Charleston, SC, to Jamestown, Va? I need the info for the next chapter of my book and the only thing that I can find so far is DRIVING TIME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gorges! Under perfect conditions, the whole way would be about 45 hours. That's sorta the theoretical maximum -favorable winds and maybe a boost from the Gulf Stream -the whole time. Normally they would plan for twice that. However, about 60 hours isn't unreasonable. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  5. It sure does Sixbears, Thanks a heap!

    ReplyDelete