StatCounter

Monday, June 20, 2022

Electric rates



Eversource, my local electrical company, is set to double electrical rates by August 1, 2022. Other parts of the bill won’t be going up so in effect it’s about a 50% increase. That’s not something I wanted to hear. 

I shouldn’t be surprised. Some back of the envelope calculations showed that electric heat would actually be cheaper than #2 heating oil. That’s probably no longer the case. At least I now know. 

My winter heating options are more limited than I’d like. I’ve a propane heater sitting on my porch that will probably never get installed. It was going to be backup as it can run without electrical power. The price of propane is discouraging enough for me to put the install off indefinitely. 

Right now my best options are more insulation, reduce the square footage of the house we heat, and firewood. I like using compressed sawdust fire blocks in my woodstove. The local lumber yard will deliver them free if you buy them a pallet at a time. Not doubt the price of those and availability could be an issue. What I’m down to is old school regular firewood. At least I live in the woods surrounded by trees. It’s a lot of work, but beats going broke or freezing. 

-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. Wood is the best bet for heating.....oil and propane will be in very short supply and electricity is mostly dependent on fossil fuels....which the left is trying to end completely. Even wood and wood products will become difficult to acquire because it requires gas/diesel to move wood products around so unless you own land with a LOT of trees on it heating with wood might become problematic. And remember....this is all part of their plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can provide a good amount of wood harvest on a sustainable fashion within walking distance of my house. One year I did it all with hand tool too.

      Delete