StatCounter

Saturday, June 4, 2022

More Coffee Stuff



There’s some rumblings that we’ll have coffee shortages. Weather problems and transportation issues are part of the problem. Anyway . . .

I just placed another $147 coffee order with Deans Beans. I’ve no association with the company outside of being a customer. The only type of coffee I ordered are unroasted green beans. I also like that the coffee is fair trade so the growers can actually make a living. 

The great thing about green beans is that they last for years without losing flavor. The clock only starts running after they are roasted. I usually roast using a cheap hot air popcorn popper. Do some on-line research on which ones work. There’s a lot of bean chaff blowing around so I like to roast outside. When camping I roast coffee in a covered cast iron skillet. There’s a learning curve if you don’t want to make expensive charcoal. 

We brew our coffee in a stove top stainless steel peculator. That works on everything from an induction stovetop to a campfire. We don’t buy filters or a zillion coffee pods so there’s no waste. We also have the coffee grounds for the compost pile. Normally I use and electric coffee grinder, but I also have a good hand crank one. 

The thing is, even without electric power, we can still feed our coffee addiction. In a grid down situation you have enough to deal with. No sense going through coffee withdrawal at the same time.

-Sixbears

No comments:

Post a Comment