StatCounter

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Golden hours

Everyone’s collapse is different. National, State, and Regional situations may be going down the tubes, but what really matters to us is what happens on a family and individual level. Of course, the flip side is also true. It doesn’t matter how well the national economy is doing if you are injured and out of work.

It’s been a weird week in these parts, and not just the weather. People are shooting each other right and left. Two sizable local industries have just closed. They were the sort of jobs with things like health care, dental, retirement plans and vacations. Other friends who didn’t even work at those places have lost their jobs.

In contrast to all that, I launched my sailboat in our little lake. My wife, granddaughter, and dog joined me for a gentle pleasant sail. It felt incredible to have a tiller in my hand again. In spite of myself, I was darn happy.

That’s not to say I don’t have empathy for people having problems and tragedies. I feel for them and do what I can, but life is too short not to grab a few golden hours now and then.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. Grab those golden hours while you can Sixbears. Life's too short to do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You defiantly have the right attitude, too bad most don't share it, they would have a lot less tension. Like Alfred E. Newman said "What, me worry?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year ago the pressure of my upper-mgmt corporate gig put me close to snapping. That was a Friday. I closed the lid on my laptop and by Monday I had absconded to another state, without a word to a soul except a young lady who went with me, abandoning a similiarly miserable, well-paying, corporation.

    It's been a year of focusing on self-sufficiency and we've never been happier. Today we took full advantage of our own golden moment, hiking four miles up a mountain to the spot where Daniel Boone is rumored to have first looked out over the Bluegrass. It was a cloudless, amazing day.

    We have friends who are still "stuck" in the same oppressive corporate hell we fled. We also know ill family members, unemployed friends, and she even recently lost a sister. It has taken a year to de-program and learn to guiltlessly enjoy each golden moment we're offered.

    BriarPatch Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds to me like you have the right outlook on the whole thing, buddy!

    Enjoy those golden hours with the family.

    ReplyDelete