StatCounter

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How did that get there?



Today I finally started repairing some roof eaves on my house. One side can be reached from my porch roof using a short ladder. I haven’t been up on that roof since last fall. On the roof was a dead mouse and a dead squirrel. Looks like they’d been there for a while. How weird is that?

My best guess is that a hawk or an owl has been sitting on my roof to eat its kill. Unless I discover I’ve got a weird enemy who throws dead rodents on my room, I’m sticking with my avian theory. Birds are out to get me.

Bard owls live close by. I’ve hawks, vultures, and eagles that buzz my house.

Many years ago my dad almost got in hit in the head by a trout while sitting on my deck. An osprey was flying up from the lake and lost its catch.

Until TVs went digital, I had an antenna on my roof. Woodpeckers used to bang away on it. From inside the house it sounded like someone was riding a Harley motorcycle up there. That got me out of bed in a hurry a time or two.

There’s a very large dark bird with an immense wingspan that I’ve yet to get a good look at. It keeps disappearing in the trees before I can identify it. No firm idea what the heck that is. Maybe it’s an immature eagle -or a roc.

Unless I start finding dead deer on my roof, I’m not going to worry about it.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. (theme to "Twilight Zone" in background)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I second Georges Smythe's post

    You must really have some amazing views of birds and wildlife there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do. Bears, moose, deer, loons -you name it.

      Delete
  3. The rarest bird I have ever seen on my place is the Pileated Woodpecker. The biggest woodpecker I have ever seen. Haven't seen one since before last year's drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a couple of those around here too. They have a very distinct flying pattern.

      Delete
  4. Enough entertainment in nature to keep you entertained versus what passes for such on TV, etc. I watched birds and cat and an armadillo all converge on the compost pile at once. got mighty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should keep a camera handy for such moments. I would have liked to see that.

      Delete