StatCounter

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Will reality and politics collide?



I can't help myself, I've been watching the dance of the politicians. Maybe it's that time spent in Texas, where so many of this years crop have sprouted up. Of course, while I've been enjoying warm southern weather, politicians of all stripes have been trudging through the frozen snows of New Hampshire. Somehow that amuses the heck out of me.

Don't worry all you politicians. I'll be in New Hampshire when it's time to vote in the primaries. Then again, maybe they should worry. Political campaigns come to my home state to die. I plan on doing my part to kill a few of them.

One of my big guidelines will be if the politician has any sort of connection to reality. There are a lot of fine speeches coming out of their mouths. There are some grand and interesting ideas bouncing around. The problem is that most of those ideas have a lot more in common with fantasy than reality. Most of those politicians appear to live in a world totally unrelated to the reality of my world.

Right now I'm not even going to single out any particular politician. Besides, after New Hampshire gets through with them, the field will be a lot smaller. You are welcome.

-Sixbears

7 comments:

  1. Its a damn shame the Indiana Governor backed down somewhat but at least he made an effort to explain why the law was written the way it was. Most politicians would have folded far earlier.

    I don't get the controversy of the law anyway. Businesses discriminate all the time.

    NO SHIIRT - NO SHOES - NO SERVICE.

    WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON.

    Aren't those discriminatory ?

    If anyone wants to decline giving aid or service to individuals they don't agree with, they can just claim they are not available on that date (class reunion - family wedding - out of town), just that simple. I'm not discriminating for their behavior, just choosing when and who I will work for. I'd be turning down business after all. The person / couple moves on looking for someone else - nobody's panties get twisted in a wad.

    Whats so hard about that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Why do we have to bring race or sexual orientation into everything? Can't we go on the old premise of live and let live?
      And thanks, Sixbears, for doing your part in narrowing the field - we appreciate it ...

      Delete
    2. I really haven't researched the Indiana law. It's hard enough to keep track of the laws in my own state that directly affect me.

      Baby Sis I'm just doing my part by taking out the trash.

      Delete
    3. Becuase you can't refuse service to anyone you see fit.

      The 1964 Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the legal right to “full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.”

      It's the same reason you can't tell blacks they can't sit at the lunch counter. "No shirt, no shoes" can be justified under health code violations. Refusing to serve alcohol to a drunken patron is covered for safety regulation. Asking a ride or disruptive customer to leave is covered.

      Under this law, a Muslim convenience store owner could refuse to serve a woman who was unchaperoned or not covered up.

      We had this discussion 50 years ago. You don't get to decide who sits in the front of the bus, or who gets to sit at the lunch counter.

      Delete
  2. I have a feeling that Hillary will be anointed Queen after the next presidential election. It's like knowing an asteroid is going to hit earth, there's a certain sense of inevitability about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make for a really boring primary. Now if she dropped out the field would open up and it'd get interesting. Right now all the fun is on the Republican side.

      Delete