StatCounter

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Private space



The younger generations appear to have no sense of privacy. Their reaction to the revelations that Facebook was selling their information was a resounding, “Meh.” It's what they expected to happen. On the other hand, maybe they are just more realistic of what to expect from corporations.

One thing that drives me nuts is how people have deeply personal phone conversations in public. My lovely wife and I were in a coffee shop. The woman across from us was scolding someone on the phone. It went on and on. At first I thought she was talking to an ex-husband. Only at the end did I realize they are still married. Frankly, I'm pretty sure I was watching a marriage falling apart before my eyes. I did not need to hear that.

The funny thing is, I grew up back when the phone was attached to the wall. Everyone in the house could listen in. Still, we'd do our best to keep our talks private. Now people can take calls anywhere, yet rarely do they bother to step outside to take a call.

I wonder if at some point everyone will stop fighting for privacy rights. Of course, people are a lot more open about a lot of things so maybe they feel they have nothing to hide? Personally, it doesn't matter if I have something to hide or not. Privacy is a right.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Not according to our government!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The citizens better do something about that one of these days -if they want to be a free people.

      Delete
  2. I personally don't want other folks' nose all up in my private business. Just rather have it stay private, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard much the same as well. Couples fighting over the phone - just childish. Having spontaneous ability to shout at each other right now does not give any one the chance to calm down, consider their words and figure out how to talk it out.

    I figure it is why high school relationships are so volatile. The ability on social media moves so fast, people have no opportunity to apologize before all their friends know the sordid details and have already chosen sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much stuff becomes public too fast. Then people lock into their positions and everything gets blown out of hand. It's amazing how a little quiet goes a long way.

      Delete
  4. There are some who do not use Facebook or any other media, my son being one. Nor his wife or children. I use Facebook to keep up with friends. Yes, there are posts I don't like but I can just pass by them. Nor am I on the computer all day. As for phone conversations...I ignore other people's and try to keep mine private.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was dragged onto facebook in the last year. It's amazing how it can suck you in. Quite a few times I write a comment and then delete it without ever posting. I let a lot of crazy stuff go on without me.

      Delete