StatCounter

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Mental Health in These Times

 


In a lot of ways I’m doing this pandemic on easy mode. When I say pandemic I’m not just talking about the virus, but all stuff that goes with it. There’s economic and social upheaval and even spiritual issues to deal with.


Of course, having a sailboat and a hammock on the beach of my little lake certainly helps.


In general my family and friends are handling it pretty well. That’s not to say there aren’t challenges. A deaf friend who lip reads is having a bad time with people wearing masks all the time.


Personally it helps that I’ve had bad times when other people were doing well. It gave me perspective. I’ve been blessed with the threat of the loss of all my material possessions. Once you let that fear of loss go life has a certain new freedom. It’s all just stuff. Money is an illusion.


That’s not that you don’t have to deal with it. For example, one bank just cut $8,000 from my credit line. Now I wasn’t using the credit and had never missed any payments. The main reason I carried that credit in the first place was for emergencies when traveling. No big deal. Next time I travel I’ll deal with emergencies in other ways. There are always solutions. By the way, I mention that because at least a third of Americans have had their credit reduced. If that happened to you, it’s not personal. You didn’t do anything wrong.


Having physical perps is helpful, but the real skill needed in these times is mental flexibility. Also, be kind to yourself when you aren’t handling things well. We are all allowed some bad moments. If they persist too long and cripple your life, don’t be afraid to get help.


-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. Indeed, flexible thinking is the most important survival tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to deal with reality or reality will deal with us.

      Delete
  2. Great post 6bears! I feel for your deaf friend and am maybe just a morsel jealous of your hammock situation. So far one of the most difficult challenges has been to try to get something done when so many are “working” from home so can’t even answer a question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting parts for my home projects has been challenging. Still, I've found ways to get things done. Of course, when I can't do projects there's always the lake.

      Delete