StatCounter

Sunday, July 24, 2022

How hot is it?



How hot is it where you are? It got to around 90 here in the Great North Woods of New Hampshire. It’s been known to get hotter. Once in a great while we experience triple digit temperatures.


I still don’t have AC and still really don’t need it. How does that work? Fortunately, while it gets hot during the day it cools down to about 60 at night. That’s when I use fans to pull cool air into the house. My house is also shaded by huge hemlock trees.


Cities have heat island effects. All that brick, cement, road tar and black roofs really absorb the heat. I happened to drive through town on my scooter. Being out in the air like that it’s easy to notice when the temperature suddenly jumps up. Heading out of town it’s a relief to get back under the trees. 


In the northern part of New Hampshire it’s still not terribly dry. I’ve a daughter in California and it’s bad out there. Personally I couldn’t deal with the heat and the smoke from the wildfires. I’m also concerned about family members in Texas. They need AC to survive and the TX grid is pretty fragile. 


There are huge sections of the country dealing with the heat right now. Hope everyone is getting by and that you have a backup plan if the grid goes down.


-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. Here in the Great Basin desert summers are hot. Not Mojave desert or Sonora desert hot but plenty warm. This summer so far has been average in terms of temps. But it's not over yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too hot for me. I don't mind heat during the day but I like our cool nights here in the NH mountains.

      Delete
  2. My neighbor left a few days ago to escape the heat for a couple weeks. He went to Maine, he went up there last year too. This year I guess it is even hotter ! Nobody in Maine has AC either.

    At the house here, I've got central air , plus a backup window ac which can run off my generator.
    Here soon , archery season will be opening. It is definitely warm in mid September here. And we go camping without any ac. Tho we do have a generator and fans !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday I was visiting friends in southern Maine. It was in the 90s with high humidity. Bit much.

      Delete
  3. We drove 500 miles to spend a week in our far west TX cabin. Temps in the high 90s every day. I brought a propane generator, but my little window unit AC didn't work. At least we had a desk fan and a water spray bottle to cool off for sleeping.
    Back home now in north central TX (small town) its around 110_112 every day....but the AC works!!
    I have a couple small, lightweight propane gennys( (Alp brand) and a couple WORKING little window units as I do think we will have brownouts here eventually. 500 gallons of LP stored away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West TX is is probably a good climate for a swamp cooler -if you have the water to spare.
      I would not trust the TX grid right now.

      Delete
  4. 101 here saturday. 'bout 30 miles north of st. louis. took the dogs down to the branch where it's always a lot cooler. first time i've ever seen one of the springs that feed it quit running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad sign when the springs start to run dry.

      Delete