StatCounter

Friday, January 26, 2024

Hunkering Down



Our winters are not like they used to be. When I was a kid the big thing to watch out for was blizzards. Snow accumulations were measured in feet, not inches. 


In more recent years the big threat isn’t blizzards, but ice storms. Once again we are going through a spell of rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow. Our storms don’t produce just one weather event but various events, often switching back and forth. Micro climates make a big difference. It can be snowing at my house but raining just a mile away. Even a few hundred feet in elevation make a big difference. 


Fortunately, I rarely have to go anywhere during those events. There’s a good feeling being prepared to hunker down. My house batteries are topped off, there’s fuel for the woodstove, and plenty of food in the pantry. If the Internet and phone go down there’s cell service which usually lasts longer. Worse come to worse I can send text messages with a Garmin InReach. It connects directly to satellites. 


We have cards, board games, books, and arts and crafts to keep us occupied. 


If I really get bored I suppose I could make sure the mailbox is shoveled out. Our rural carrier will deliver the mail in just about any condition. She’s a wonder. The least I can do is make sure the mailbox is accessible. 


-Sixbears

No comments:

Post a Comment