StatCounter

Monday, January 29, 2024

The Keeping of Cars



One of my personal measurements of life satisfaction is how often I have to work on my own cars. It’s not that I hate working on them in general. It’s all the other stuff involved. Perhaps if I had a roomy heated garage it wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe add a lift and an air tools to that garage. Anyway, I can dream.


More often than not I’m dealing with either bugs or bad weather. 


One thing about late January in the mountains of New Hampshire -bugs are down to a bare minimum. Then there’s the weather to deal with. However, we just had a couple of days where it got into the mid thirties. Pleasant enough. 


When digging out the last of the ice from under the wipers I noticed the plastic vent cover was loose. Cars these days are snapped together like Lego blocks. The little plastic tabs had broken free. They really are not made to be reused -in spite of what car manuals may say. Instead self tapping screws covered in Locktite did the job. It should stay in place now.


That was a pleasant enough job. What I’m not going to do is fix an exhaust leak, lying on my back in the slush. Nope. Not interested in that at all. The garage was supposed to do the job today but it’s been put off a week. The owner called me and begged to reschedule as two of his techs are out with the latest C-variant. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. 


-Sixbears


2 comments:

  1. This being a prime example of why I love our two Toyota mini pickups. They rarely breakdown !
    So far as weather is concerned, well you know where I live. Bugs are an issue , but I just ignore the little beasties lol.
    The weather's been a yoyo this winter , sixties one week and eighties the next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much committed to the North Country for the rest of this winter.
      Those Toyotas are great trucks. Simple and robust and not bad on fuel. The newest vehicles are rolling computers -with all the computer glitches.

      Delete