StatCounter

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Fiber Blocks Downsides



In previous videos I mentioned I use fiber blocks in my woodstove. They are made from compressed sawdust, wrapped in bundles of six and loaded on a pallet. Buying them by the pallet the local lumber yard provides free delivery. 


I like them because they are easy to use and put out a lot of heat. One downside is that they don’t hold a fire as well as real firewood. To get around that I either load real firewood in the evening or just let the furnace kick in during  the night. 


Today I dealt with the other downside. If put on a slow burn they tend to generate a lot of soot. It’s not like creosote that creates a fire hazard. Instead the soot is light and fluffy but it can restrict flow through the stovepipe. About twice a winter the stove pipe has to be removed from the stove and cleaned out. It’s not a big deal but can get messy. At least the build up is in the stovepipe and not the chimney, which remains surprisingly clean. 


Next winter I’ll probably end up using more natural firewood and less fiber blocks. The reason for that is the number of my trees toppled by heavy snow and high winds. If I have to clean them up anyway I might as well burn them. 


-Sixbears

No comments:

Post a Comment