StatCounter

Saturday, May 13, 2023

The Old P-89



I don’t get too deeply into firearms on this blog. There are plenty of other people who do. That being said it’s no secret that I have a decent collection. For me, living out in the country, a firearm is just another tool. While I’m conscious of self defense from other humans, I’m much more likely to shoot a wild animal. For example, right now bears are a nuisance. I’d rather avoid one than shoot one, but sometimes that’s not an option. In the past I once shot a groundhog that exhibited rabid behavior. 


Back about 20 years ago my lovely wife took me handgun shopping. Dang, I love that woman. I decided on a Ruger P-89. They are no longer in production but quite a few of them are still around. It’s not a popular type handgun these days. It’s a big clunky all metal handgun, totally unlike all the polymer guns out there. 


The size and weight aren’t an issue for me. I have very large hands and have no problems. It’s also not my go to when I want to carry something concealed. 


One of the things old Bill Ruger was focused on was building a handgun that could digest just about any make of 9mm ammo. In that he succeeded. My old P-89 functions with the cheapest stuff out there all the way up to very hot high end self-defense rounds. When there are ammo shortages it’s nice to know the gun will feed just about anything. Too many expensive handguns are finicky and can only function properly with certain rounds. 


In the end, what really matters is having a reliable gun that will go bang when you need it too and send the rounds where you point it. 


-Sixbears. 


7 comments:

  1. Hi 6 Bear's!!
    'Like the P-89 also but they were out of production when I was looking an found the polymer net gen the P-95!!!!! Like the '89 it aint no pint sized eazy to conceal but t sure commands attention if ya' open carry (Nice, legal and the way we live around here)... and like yer' -89 it will digst any 9mm round bar none!!!!!!
    Got Gunz..... OUTLAW!!!!?,
    'We're ALL OUTLAWS.... now.... you know?
    skybill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outlaw? Naw. Totally legal and proper. Just like when the law changed and I could swap out the meager 10 round mags for larger ones.

      Delete
  2. I know that I certainly like my Ruger revolvers. They too , will consume any load ya want to use.
    However , I absolutely love my 45 auto.
    It is a Sig Sauer 220SS Elite, Very heavy but one of the models that gave birth to their motto...
    To hell and back reliability !
    No doubt the most accurate hand gun I own.
    But...it isn't the weapon I choose for a backup gun for archery.
    For that I carry a Ruger single action 45 colt, loaded up with rounds so hot that old Bill Ruger, cringes from the grave !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Ruger. A good friend of mine worked there as an engineer for years. Worked shoulder to shoulder with old Bill. The guns are a good mix of quality and value.

      Delete
  3. Spud you made me smile. Too long a tale but I had to use a back up BP Remington on a swamp boar archery hunt. Conical Bullets full military load, hog wasn't impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddy of mine lost a horse boar hunting. Found himself in a tree picking off hogs with a Ruger Blackhawk in .44. mag.

      Killer bacon.

      Delete
    2. LOL I too was up a tree with the other two bow hunters, swaying in that skinny pine.

      They are screaming shoot it as the hog was trying to Paul Bunyon our tree with his tusks.

      We all saw the blood splats of at least 4 .44 Remington conical's hitting that pig before I ran out of shots and the pig finally wandered off.

      The 44 mag is stouter than a 44 Cap and ball full military load but not twice the impact.

      Wild hogs are tough. I'm hoping that Canadian hog problem doesn't wander into New Hampshire. They are hard on vehicles and homes as well as farms and pets.

      Delete