StatCounter

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Cost of Winter



Like many of other New Englanders I have an oil furnace -and a woodstove, of course. Nights have been cool so we decided to get the oil tank filled. That’s always a good chunk of change. I shamelessly switched oil companies for one that gives a senior discount. Just call me an entitled Baby Boomer. 


The furnace had run empty so it had to be primed again. I keep the correct sized wrench right on the side of the furnace. There’s also a container with a tight cover for catching the primed fuel oil. If the furnace has to be bled during the deep cold of winter I don’t want to be hunting for the right tools. 


We’ve some fuel for the woodstove but we’ll probably burn more oil this coming winter. My niece will have the house to herself a lot this coming winter and we don’t want her worrying about the woodstove. Now I don’t have to worry about her being worried. 


There’s not a lot of winter prep left to do and the essentials are ready.


-Sixbears


4 comments:

  1. Does your niece know how to operate the solar system and battery bank properly?

    I remember you saying it was power backup for the oil furnace when the grid was down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I also print out instructions to run the house. I've done this before for other house sitters.

      Delete
  2. That's good planning as your scooter run and such might be out of cell tower range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bring a Garmin InReach with me so that I can at least text using satellite connections.

      Delete