StatCounter

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lead me not into temptation

So I get this offer in the mail to refinance my mortgage. In fact, I'm already approved. Place a phone call and they'll lock in my low low rate and we are good to go. But wait! There's more! They'd approved a loan amount of what my house was once worth during the crazy days. The offer looked legit.

I should not be tempted that way. I had a flash of inspiration. Take their loan and take it for the full amount. Buy a really nice blue water sailboat and equip it well. Take another $100,000 and turn it into precious metals and foreign currencies. Then hop on that boat, sail the hell away and never come back.

Sweat broke out on my brow . . .

. . . a few deep slow breaths.

Okay, I'm better now. It was a crazy idea. However, I've been known to follow though with crazy ideas. They turn out well more often than one would suppose.

However, my wife and really don't want to disappear on a world cruise right yet. If someday that's what we really want to do, we'll find a way to make it happen.

As for now, I like having my local credit union hold what's left of my mortgage. It's not a huge debt, and there's hope of actually owning the place outright before I'm 104 years old. We've ties to the area, family and friends. Most importantly, I like where I live. My house is my home, not a super sized ATM machine.

Still, they shouldn't tempt me like that . . .

-Sixbears

2 comments: