StatCounter

Monday, April 8, 2019

Enough Already!



Today we have a winter weather advisory for my area. Three to six inches of heavy snow is expected. Enough already! Sunday it was sunny and got up to forty-five. You what that means? It was a nice day for ice fishing on the lake. While the fishermen had to pull their shacks off the ice by state law, it is plenty safe for walking on yet.

The average ice-out date for the lake is around April 21. Things would have to warm up dramatically for that to happen this year. In the past it’s gone out as late as the middle of May. That’s rare, but possible this year. There was a good four feet of ice on the lake and that doesn’t melt overnight.

Most of my yard is still buried in up to three feet of snow. It has melted down in areas that have been getting a lot of sun. Where’s there’s shade, like under the trees, forget it. This is the winter that keeps on giving.

I’ve friends a hundred miles to the south of me who are in the process of prepping their garden. For weeks now they’ve been taking their coffee breaks outside. It’s claimed that Mt. Washington has the worse weather in the world. I believe it. I live north of the mountain and it’s a definitely a different climate zone from the southern part of the sate.

More fuel blocks for the woodstove is going to be delivered on Tuesday. I told the guy he can drop the pallet right on front of the sailboat and trailer. No doubt it’ll be mostly used up before I can launch the boat.

I pray to God that I am in a position to spend next winter in a warmer climate. Cabin fever is no joke.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. It's probably harder on you than most of the rest of us, since you developed the snowbird habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing all in my power to resume the habit for next winter. It's not just the weather. I really miss the travel and meeting new people.

      Delete
  2. Meanwhile , summer is in full bloom here !
    Just about finished with the fence.

    Next project...repaint the house...what you say ? Just did that last year ! Momma don't like the colors...and you know the saying...if momma's not happy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. . . .ain't nobody happy.

      I think I see the edge of a wheelbarrow poking out of the snow. I didn't get a chance to put it under cover when the October snow hit.

      Delete
  3. Already mowed the grass twice here, planted tomato plants 3 weeks ago, supposed to 94 Wednesday. North Central TX.
    But, it'll be 104 by July. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a huge fan of the triple digit heat myself.

      Delete
  4. That is why will not leave Arizona until April 15th with a ten day road trip to New Hampshire. Yeserday, here in Parker, AZ the temp reached 93ยบ. It's so easy to let your mind think..."It must be warm and snow free in NH!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The southern part of the state is warmer and snow free. Here . . . not so much. Really working towards being able to do the nomad thing next winter. Maybe we'll see you in the Keys?

      Delete
  5. Maybe you should move to the sunny, warm South??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the South in the winter. Not a fan of high humidity and triple digit temperatures in a southern summer.

      Delete
  6. Well, I hope your extended winter weather/season doesn't make for more hurricanes than normal down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The early hurricane forecasts aren't very reliable, but they do predict a slightly less active hurricane season this year.

      Delete