StatCounter

Friday, May 24, 2019

Little odds and ends



The rain held off until the evening, giving me a chance to get some outside jobs done. I moved a little more firewood today, but I’m still placing myself. The large deep discharge battery is back in the boat. That thing weighs a ton. Last fall the charge controller shorted out. Today the spare went in. It was the same model as the old one so it slotted into place without much trouble.

A friend came over for coffee and a walk. It’s really nice walking along the lake this time of year. My distance keeps improving. Overall, I’m feeling pretty good, but my endurance needs to be built back up. Its a slower process than when I was 20, but it has to be done. Use it or lose it.

When my friend and I got back to the house we discovered my lovely wife on the computer. She’d been looking over the bidding on a sailboat on Ebay. I wonder how close we came to owning another sailboat. That came as a surprise.

I’m also waiting to hear about a truck on Craigslist. A buddy of mine spotted it. The truck needs a few repairs, but my buddy assures me they are all relatively cheap and easy fixes. There are a couple people ahead of me to view the vehicle, so it might be gone by the weekend. If it isn’t my lovely wife and I are going to take a drive out to see it. The truck is way over Vermont so it’s a bit of a haul.

Being retired I can spend more time surfing the web looking for deals. Friends of mine as also keeping their eyes open. One of the things I’ve discovered is that the local market has been pricing vehicles on the high side. Demand for old beaters must be strong around here. Unless something good pops up soon I’m pretty much going to have to travel for deals.

All in all things are moving along. Life is good.

-Sixbears

7 comments:

  1. My theory is, the bigger cities have more used cars, and more competition when selling -driving prices lower. Used E250 cargo vans are plentiful and reasonably priced on DFW Craigslist. Too bad you're a million miles away. Good luck.!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice. Too bad I'm so far away. Sometimes living way out in the country has its disadvantages.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear your health continues to improve. Yep, use it or lose it. Getting back in shape is much harder than maintaining mobility. Hiking is a good way to get exercise and enjoy yourself at the same time - treadmills suck !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the weather is a lot better I'm really happy to walk out in the woods and around the lake.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add to what bigfoot said, another advantage of getting a used vehicle in Texas or other southern states is that there is very little to no salt damage from winter road salting, especially here near Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing to watch for with southern cars are those that have been in floods. After a hurricane there's always plenty of cars on the market that were underwater. They run fine at first, but before long the electrics fail in weird ways. They can also rust from the inside out, especially if flooded by ocean water.

      Delete