StatCounter

Friday, June 28, 2019

Recession?



Generally we tend to slowly slide int recessions. They are always declared after the fact. Usually it’s after two consecutive GDP drops two quarters in a row. You night not even notice you are in one. Of course, if your income is dependent on a sector heavily influenced by the downturn, you’ll notice. For most people things just keep getting slightly more crappy.

Then there are instances when recessions happen due to a major shock to the system. One of the biggest causes of those are fluctuations in the availability of oil. Our whole economy runs on oil. It’s not just motor fuel; it’s everything from plastics to agriculture.

Something like a shooting war against Iran would definitely put us in a position to suffer one of those quickie recessions. A significant part of the worlds oil could suddenly be cut off from the sea lanes. Not only that, Saudi Arabia’s production and distribution facilities would be prime Iranian targets.

How would you do in a recession?

Personally, I’ve been in one for ten years. It’s been that long since I’ve gotten a raise from my New Hampshire pension plan. Actually, they eliminated a thousand dollar a year bonus. Even a fairly low inflation rate adds up after a decade. Lately it’s really hit how much prices have gone up. Of course, I’ve been making adjustments.

Sometimes in a recession I actually make out better than during boom times. Recessions depress prices. While my pension isn’t huge, it’s steady. Being able heat with wood reduces the impact of a rise in heating oil. Sometimes I can pick up good deals on things because people are desperate to sell anything for cash.

Everyone’s situation is different. Odds are good we’ll be affected in ways we cannot predict. One thing we do know. Our basic needs don’t change. Focus on being about to take care of them and you’ll be fine.

-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. In case no-one has told you, you've been a regular bundle of joy lately. - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that too. I also go through phases...:)

      I compiled the last 14 posts titles into a paragraph. I laughed, hope the big bear can too.

      A 'Recession' causing me to be 'Puzzled by events' came after getting 'Back on the Road'. 'The real enemy' was the 'Rolling Molotov Cocktail' unleashed by 'Unpushing the button' while facing an 'Attempted Armed Robbery' 'On a Dark Deserted Road'. 'Moving forward', the 'Violence' of the 'Amateur Lumberjacks' celebrates 'The Year of Camping' by 'Failing the people' with a 'Tanker War'.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Okay guys. I guess I'd better lighten up a bit. Thanks for the laugh Johnno!

      Delete
  2. Good one Johnno! :-)

    Since retiring 7 years ago I spend more time shopping for food and maintenance repair parts for the home (seems to never end with the house). However I find food costs are on the rise every year.
    New vehicle inventory is high at 4.2 million units sitting in storage lots even with 20% off-list price. That is a bad sign as so many small companies supply parts for car companies and they will have orders cut which will amount to layoffs. A recession that is noticeable by all is not far off.
    The local government wants to raise the sales tax by 1/2% to 7% just to repair aging schools in the county.
    I'll be OK as long as my SS check keeps coming and they don't raise Medicare premiums to unaffordable levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one of reasons I had a such a hard time finding an affordable used car is that fewer people are buying new ones.

      Delete