StatCounter

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

End of the world



Well, here it is 2012, the end of the world. 12 years after the other end of the world back in 2000. Oh wait, didn’t we have a few raptures along the way?

Here we are, still on the green side of the grass.

The world did end. It ends every single day for someone. I’m glad it hasn’t ended for me yet. Not that weren’t some close calls.

A lot of Preppers are guys. Maybe we have more taste for doom. Perhaps it comes from all those fighting cave bears for real estate. We expect that maybe bad things might happen.

Women, in general, don’t usually want to talk about this sort of thing. That doesn’t mean they don’t keep their eyes out for trouble. It seems some guys love to talk about this stuff, but women rather not. Doesn’t mean they don’t think it. They want their home and family to be safe. Men and women often have different ideas of what will keep someone safe.

The guy might want to buy the latest assault rifle and 10,000 rounds of ammo. The lady of the house might think the money would be better spent keeping the household out of debt. Most of the time, the keep the budget balanced strategy is the most useful -until the hordes of zombies attack. Then you’ll wish you had that battle rifle.

Okay, so the zombie hordes are a really low probability. The end of the world is an even lower probability. The thing is, what can we do about it? The end of the world thing is actually pretty easy. Unless you have a way off this world, there’s nothing that can be done about the end of the world. It it happens, we all die. End of story.

It’s the less than total crackup that takes some planning for. It’s the smaller disasters that could end the world for you that needs attention. If you were in Russia in 1990, and kept your eyes open, the end of empire was in sight. Those people who could take care of their own needs and had a community to draw on did much better than those without.

In the USA, it might be 1990. Heck, for most of the world it could be 1990. The US will not give up empire gently. I think we were very lucky that the USSR did not turn to the outside distraction of a major war. May we be as lucky and realize, like USSR, a screw up in Afghanistan is trouble enough.

Where’s this all going? Today my lovely wife was really stressing that we have to get our preps sorted out soon. It’s time to build fix up the house and build that greenhouse. She’s the one who pushed me to get the garden ready for planting early this year. My lovely wife has a keen sense of when trouble is coming, and her spidey senses are tingling.

No, it’s not the end of the world, but something to take seriously enough to get a few more things squared away.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. It is nice (and a little scary) to have a spouse who can predict future doom. Mine can, she always tells me if I do this or that what will happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of Spidey senses going off recently. Mine too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. begin your new world while the other croaks

    Wildflower

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dizzy, if you think it's scary having such a spouse, imagine being the one... I usually have about a 6 month lead time...

    My spidey sense is telling me I really need to get my garden to where I'd like it this year. Exactly why, I can't say, nor can I say whether it's just me or more widespread. It could be just that I will too busy after this to set things up, or it could be that seeds will be more precious than gold....

    ReplyDelete