StatCounter

Friday, December 4, 2015

Guns and books



Things don't add up. Firearm background checks are supposed to be way up. Guns are supposed to be selling like crazy. However, I know for a fact that one major firearms manufacturer is laying off a lot of people. Maybe it's a simple case of over production that capitalism is well known for. Maybe, yet they've gutted the engineering staff, the people who are supposed to be designing the products of the future. Seems to me these are the guys you'd want to keep around. New product designing has come to a screeching halt.

Maybe it's one company's bad business decisions, but it doesn't fit with the overall story the main stream media is putting out.

I'm wondering. Was the latest mass shooting in another “gun free zone?” Maybe they should be renamed “defense free zones.” I never feel safe in those businesses where firearms are prohibited. All those signs say to me is: soft target. You don't see terrorist shootings at the local gun range.

I've just finished reading Voyage, After the Collapse, by Scott B Williams. It's the most recent installment in his Pulse series. It's an EMP disaster series. It's great for those of us who like both survival fiction and anything to do with small boats. For me there's the added bonus of having sailed in some of the same waters the story takes place in.

The book was enjoyable. Williams's fiction writing is improving. My biggest quibble is that the book seemed too short. Things were just getting really interesting when it came to a sudden end. I'm going to buy the next book anyway. No need for cliff hangers to keep me coming back.

One thing that came through loud and clear in the book was that in a total collapse situation there are those with firearms and then there are victims. Of course, we aren't in a massive EMP situation right now. Our slow collapse is uneven.

One of the states I dive though on my way south is Massachusetts. I can legally pass through the state with a firearm if certain conditions are met. For example, the gun and ammo have to be locked away separately. With my converted ambulance that meant installing a small safe for the guns and using the old drug locker for ammo storage. Right now carrying a gun in some states puts me in more danger from law enforcement than criminals.

99% of the time being safe on the water doesn't take a firearm. Situational awareness, a bright spot light, wasp repellent, and a machete can handle most security issues. I have carried a gun on my boat in the past. Florida recognizes New Hampshire's concealed carry permit. Mainly I had it so pythons in the Everglades wouldn't eat the dog. I'll just let everyone guess if I'm carrying a gun this year or not.

-Sixbears

17 comments:

  1. Yes you are carrying your not crazy. The snakes left the everglades now they are in elected office's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the 'Pulse' series as well, the third installment VOYAGE is due to be published very soon (Dec. '15 ?) so keep an eye out for it. If its for strictly for snakes on the water, the Taurus Judge .410 would gain my interest, pocket shotgun is an apt description. Doesn't spew the empty cases on deck either.

    I think travel in Canada likewise has travel handgun restrictions. I believe you enter with handgun after declaration, Canadian LEO have it packaged and sealed. When leaving country, package is inspected to be sure it was not removed while in country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Voyage on Kindle. With all my traveling it's been handy to get books on a reader.

      My house is so close to Canada that I can just leave my handguns at home.

      Delete
  3. A CWP is going to be my Christmas present to me.

    This is a Shall Issue state and Open Carry is legal here too.

    Open Carry still freaks out the uninformed panty wetters and they still cause grief by calling the police, just to be educated by same that there is nothing they can do bout it.

    Things are just getting too sporty lately not to have self protection withing reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is NH a shall issue state, it's $10 for a permit. One page form. Gun violence is very low in NH, but I'm guessing that's mostly because it's still mostly a rural state.

      Delete
  4. As strange as it sounds, gun manufacturing companies are not always owned by themselves so let, a few have parent companies and they may or may not pro 2nd amendment .... I Googled my own statement here and found this:

    http://www.rense.com/general95/soros.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my grammar above. Way too early for me thus I forgot to proofread.

      Delete
    2. When it comes right down to it, companies are all about making money.

      Interesting article. The major firearms company laying people off is not on the list.

      Delete
  5. It's a sad point in our history where it is a crime to be able to protect yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad indeed. However, governments always like a monopoly on force. It's how they stay in power.

      Delete
  6. I'd bet that someone as grounded (not in a physical way of speaking) and conservative as you sound is carrying, but I agree with your ideas. Even though Texas is an open-carry state, I'm not making myself an obvious target for the bad guys. Let them guess if I'm concealing or not ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather carry concealed. Let the bad guys guess who's armed. Open carry just makes you the first target.

      Delete
  7. I carry religiously. Like the old American Express ad used to say " don't leave home without it"

    I see open carry here sometimes but my choice is remain inconspicuous and carry concealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remmington Express?

      People around your parts must just assume you carry.

      Delete
  8. I think they should be called "sitting duck zones".

    ReplyDelete