StatCounter

Monday, April 18, 2016

Emergency Pants



Finally, it was a sunny and warm day -shorts and T-shirt weather. My lovely wife and I had to run into town. It's about a twenty minute drive, with no traffic. There is never traffic. That's one of the perks of living out in the country.

Even on such a short drive I made sure I had a spare pair of long pants and a warm jacket. While it was warm when we left, this is the time of year when temperatures plummet once the sun goes down. Sure, we were only twenty minutes from home, but that's by car. Walking is a different story.

More than once I've broken down a couple miles away from the house. Living in the woods is great, but if you have trouble, you stand a fair chance of being on your own. Cell phone service is nonexistent the last couple miles. The last thing you want is to be walking home in shorts, in the dark, in freezing temperatures.

How many people make a big deal of having a bug out bag but lack decent clothes for a long walk in bad weather? They may take more care about their concealed carry piece than the condition of their walking shoes. Odds are they'll need good shoes and warm clothes more often than a handgun.

Maybe I think more about hiking back because I've driven so many junk cars over the years. Even new cars break down, and roads become impassable to wheeled traffic. Infrastructure isn't maintained like it used to be, especially in the country.

So . . got your emergency pants?

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. I've always got several layers of clothes in the car-drobe. The joke about my home town of Melbourne is '4 seasons in one day' but it's pretty real so I know no other way than being prepared for all weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's what my Canadien friends do: Shorts, sneakers, wool shirt and vest, plus maybe a knit cap.

      Delete
  2. You and dweeze are a couple of wise fellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life in a variable climate can teach a few lessons. I froze my tush off when I was young and foolish.

      Delete
  3. Makes sense to me - I keep a spare change of clothing year round, a double XX extra large long sleeve T shirt and a wind breaker for cold weather. I hang my hat in south Texas, so no snow for us. Extra pair of pants - blue jean does fine. As long as you are moving, too much bulk or heat becomes a factor for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might not get snow, but once in a while it can get surprisingly cold there.

      Delete
    2. Oh definitely. A blue norther in high humidity goes to the bone. Not right now, flirting with the 90's for highs. I'm waaaay down there by the mouth of the Rio Grande.

      Delete
  4. Good suggestions, but how many people will listen and take the precautions? We are having floods here today, Some areas got 20 inches of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better pack your high water pants.

      Hope you are fine. Stay if the roads if you don't have to go anywhere.

      Delete
    2. I reckon that pretty much the only ones who who might listen are the ones already taking precaution. Perhaps if only one or two other people take this on, us sensible folks have had a win.

      Delete
    3. There's no telling what people will take to heart.

      Delete