StatCounter

Sunday, April 24, 2016

The quiet



I guess it's all relative.

There's some new people living around the lake. While walking the dog I happened to run into a few of them. Nothing like a sunny weekend day for getting people outside. With all the visiting it took three and a half hours for a two mile walk.

One guy asked, “What do you hear?”

I wasn't sure exactly what he was going for. I could hear the guy with a leaf blowing moving sand out of his driveway from a about a mile away. A quarter mile away I could hear people talking around their outdoor grill. Two fishermen were chatting in the boat on the lake. A woodpecker was banging away in the distance. There was a truck moving along the road two miles away and I could hear his tires crunching on the gravel. Someone's dog was barking out there somewhere.

While I was listening to all the sounds the guy answered his own question.

“Nothing. You hear nothing. It's quiet out here.”

Sounded kinda noisy to me.

Then I remembered he just moved up from a city in Rhode Island. Compared to a city it is quiet. One more reason cities drive me nuts.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. I hear vehicles on the main road, my neighbor's truck is my alarm clock in the morning. Otherwise it's tree rats (squirrels, woodpeckers, and many other birds. At night I hear the peepers. Otherwise it's pretty quiet and I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      Natural sounds are certainly a lot more relaxing.

      Delete
  2. He won't say that when it's log spitting time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's got a neighbor who burns a lot of wood every year. It will be interesting when the chainsaws fire up.

      Delete
  3. His ears will probably adjust. Then again, maybe the city has deafened him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take the noisy country living over anything any city has to offer. It isn't so much the city that bothers me, it is all the buildings and all the people and all the noise and all the smells. . . well yes, I guess it is the city that bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a short trip to a medium sized city once in a while, but certainly wouldn't want to live in one.

      Delete