StatCounter

Monday, April 25, 2016

Fix it or get rid of it?



That's the question I've been asking myself lately. There are only so many hours in the day. There are only so many hours in a life.

Recently I posted that I've a new main sail on order for my Oday 19. Since we lost our Ranger 23, we've decided to fix the Oday. Here's the thing, I've known that the Oday was going to need a new sail for some time. Slowly a fund was built up to replace that sail.

Then some other stuff happened. That sail fund became the seed money that went towards buying the Ranger. Add in an unexpected check that came my way and suddenly purchasing another sailboat was possible. Of course, the Oday was still left with a blown out main sail.

So now the Oday is a keeper and is getting fixed. What else do I have taking up space? There's a 1974 Kawasaki 900 sitting in a shed that I haven't used in years. The wiring needs work. The rest of the bike is in pretty good shape. Do I fix it or get rid of it?

I still maintain a motorcycle license and really enjoyed riding. The problem is that weather good enough for motorcycles is good enough for sailboats. Can't do everything. Besides, I've a really nice pedal bike which is lots of fun and better for my health.

Then there are all the canoes. I've three in good shape, one in fair, and three project canoes. With the three good ones there's plenty for me and my guests. I really should do something with the others. The other day I was checking out the project boats and discovered a moose had stepped right through the middle of one of them. Scrapping at least that one should be easy.

The list could go on.

One thing I've been doing lately is recycling my old electronics -even stuff that works. Who's ever going to use low resolution tube style computer monitors? Not much call for that sort of thing. Even so, it's been surprising hard to get rid of stuff like that.

Well, new stuff can't come into my life until I clean out the old.

-Sixbears

16 comments:

  1. Man walks up to farmer Fred. Fred name your price on that G.T.O. stored in your old barn. Well sir I plan on restoring that ONE DAY. Fred how old are you?? 87 come May. Fred "ONE DAY" past years ago. Time fly's don't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bye Bye Kawi. (pronounced Cow-wee around here)
    Unless of course you are as stubborn as I am. (Cough, Sprite, Cough)
    Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as stubborn. I hope! :) Moving one. Might have found a good home for it last night. Guy restores old bikes for racing.

      Delete
  3. You know less is more.
    You know the answers to your dilemmas.
    Be bold and be brave.
    The only way to do it is.
    To Do It...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushing to get rid of at least a little every day.

      Delete
  4. I'm keeping an old tube monitor as backup. What about repairing the stuff and THEN selling it? More time, but you'll get more money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now my time is worth more to me than a few extra dollars.

      Delete
  5. Amazing what we collect for the 'just in case' scenario isn't it? :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! So much stuff . . .

      Can't believe that when i first left home everything fit in a Honda Civic.

      Delete
  6. Texasann (Hermit's Baby Sis)April 25, 2016 at 9:57 AM

    Going through much the same myself, Sixbears. Especially after Mom died and taking some of her stuff. Trying to get from "too much" to "just enough" is harder than it sounds ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can save my children some grief down the road by getting rid of stuff now.

      Delete
  7. On to Uncle Henry's with the whole lot. It will be nice to make some cash and some space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might come to that. I'd rather give first dibs to those who can really use the stuff, but they better not wait too long.

      Delete
  8. Fix it or get rid of it. That is a great way to live, but it is easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is I've got to keep on it to get it done.

      Delete