StatCounter

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Police encounter



There I was minding my own business driving through the White Mountains. It was a beautiful sunny day and I didn't have a care in the world.

Well, I didn't have a care in the world until the blue flashing lights came on behind me and a policeman pulled me over. Apparently I was doing something like 70 in a 50 mph zone. My bad. Like I told the cop, I wasn't paying attention and picked up a lot of speed going downhill. My fault.

Then it gets better.

“License and registration.”

Right. Recently I got my missing driver's license replaced so that was fine. I asked my lovely wife to get the registration for me. When we bought the car it had been put it in the nice holder with the owner's manual. It wasn't there. Rummaged all through the dash but could not find it.

Yep, speeding and no registration. All I had on my side was manners, honesty, and a non threatening attitude. The cop gave me a written warning for both offenses. Darn decent of him as he had me dead to rights.

Okay, I know I was speeding because I'd spent 6 months driving in dead flat Florida. Kinda forgot how hills work. The missing registration was a real puzzlement.

After searching the car and the house the for a few hours my lovely wife remembered what she did with it. When we'd parked the car to go sailing for a couple months she removed some paperwork from the car. She'd forgotten that one piece of that paperwork was the registration. To make it even more interesting it was stuffed inside an empty cough drop bag. No wonder I could not find it.

It's a good thing I wasn't stopped on the drive up from Florida as my driver's license was missing and my lovely wife had hidden the registration from everyone, including herself.

Well . . . no harm, no foul.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Those darn hills - luckily you were going down one and not up one at 70mph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think my lovely wife's little car can do 70 up those hills. :)

      Delete
  2. Generally, I don't like cops, though I've never had any trouble with them. I DO have to admit, though, there are a few good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cops in that town town have a reputation for writing a lot of tickets, so I really got off easy.

      Delete
  3. When they ask for that paper work, can't you just say that the dog ate it (grin)? Here, they now want an inspection report before you can renew your registrateion. So, I went directly from the inspection station to the DMV. Not a problem, so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have yearly inspections too.

      Joking with the police might not be a bad idea. Some of them are human too.

      Delete