StatCounter

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Cold Rain and Exercise



For me there's nothing worse than cold rainy days. By cold I mean just above freezing to anything below 50 degrees. That wet cold cuts right to the bone. That's how it was today.

I'm not one to hit the gym. Boring. Also not a big fan of “gym culture” where gym rats show off and have incredibly tedious conversations about protein supplements.

I'd rather go for walks in the woods, ride a bike, paddle a canoe or any other outdoor activity. Heck, I'd rather chop firewood than go to the gym. Unfortunately cold wet days don't lend themselves to outdoor activities, unless you want to catch pneumonia or something. Give me full on winter where at least it's possible to cross country ski or snowshoe.

One of the reasons I'm such a fan of sailboat living is because I get plenty of exercise without even trying. All that rocking back and forth is great for core muscles. We paddle to shore in a kayak instead of using a powered dingy. Once on shore we do a lot of walking. One marina put us so far down the dock it was a ¼ mile hike to the main office. A quick trip to use the bathroom was a half mile round trip. We did a lot of waking while staying there.

Maybe what I should do is invest in some really good foul weather gear that's comfortable to hike in. I've rain gear, but with any sort of sustained exercise I'd get just as wet from sweat. Good breahable gear does not come cheap.

When I was younger and nothing kept me inside I wore a lot of wool. Unlike cotton, wool keeps you warm even when wet. The downside is that it is heavy and you end up smelling like a wet sheep. Modern synthics perform better, but the good stuff is hard to find in big fat guy size.

For now I'm staying inside near the woodstove, waiting for better days.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. The result I get from hiking in a poncho, rain cape or rain suit is pretty similar - I get wet from the inside like you write above. Or more like damp.

    The rain suit seems to be the most practical, but the maddening sound of WISS WISS WISS as you hike drives me bananas. Frogs Toggs seem to have less issue with that.

    All of them are a pain once you reach your destination (where do you put it inside ?). The cape does have the advantage of the open front allowing you to climb a ladder or up an incline without stepping on the leading edge like a poncho does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore a Frogs Toggs poncho. Not ideal, but it did the job.

      Delete
  2. It's been rainy, cold and damp here for a few day now-The fireplace is just fine with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly takes the dampness out of the house -and keeps the coffee hot!

      Delete
  3. Check out Wiggy's products. Some of their stuff fits me and I'm 6-5" and 340 #. A tad pricey but really good stuff.IMHO.
    They have frequent email sales though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, wool is the best material for cold, wet weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot to be said for woodstoves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to heat and cook with fuel that grows right outside my door.

      Delete