StatCounter

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Hidden Skills



There are good things about having a few years under my belt. Over the years I've been able to acquire a few skills. Most of my skills might not rise to master level, but at least better than good enough. Good enough to do what needs doing.

As a homeowner it's nice to be able to solve most problems without calling in a professional. Those skills saved me a lot of money and aggravation over the years.

It's not just handyman skills either. Six or seven years ago I knew nothing about sailing. Now I know more than enough to get into trouble -everything from boat repair to navigation. (and how to abandon ship, but let's not dwell on that.)

There are some things that I plug away at with no real expectations of getting really good at it, like guitar playing and learning French. However, even though I'm not very good it's fun to learn and sometimes useful.

There are some things I don't normally bring up as they are beyond the scope of this blog. For example, I'm a pretty good chess player.

Back in my 20s and 30s I was heavily involved in some relatively esoteric pursuits. I even had a small business connected with that field. While I never completely left that world behind, I no longer follow every day to day developments.

Recently I was listening to podcasts relating to my old field of interest. They were terrible. The podcasters didn't know what they were talking about. Not only that, they were charging people for things they couldn't do very well at all. It almost made me want to dust off my old notes, get back up to speed and start a podcast of my own.

Almost.

There are only so many hours in the day and it's such a big and interesting world out there. A podcast, done right, is a huge time sink. Can't do everything. However, it did get me interested enough to dust off a few old skills and show the kids how it's done old school.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes old school is the best way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with HermitJim. The tried and true way is usually the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's best to stick with what works.

      Delete
  3. As Mad Max told the guy at the gate to Barter Town "I've got skills!"

    The more you can do for yourself, the more control you have over your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, come on! I wanna hear that podcast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot's of work there Adam. Still, not totally out of the question. Maybe I should kick JS in gear and get him to help?

      Delete
    2. Yeah... good luck with that!

      Delete