StatCounter

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Some good news



My lab tests arrived in the mail today. Everything is normal. I was concerned about type 2 diabetes as it runs in my family, but even that was totally normal. Looks like I'm a big fat healthy guy. Good to know.

I do eat what I think is a reasonably healthy diet. I limit my intake of processed sugars and prepared foods. Alcohol is consumed in moderation. Never smoked.

When I got lung injuries in the fire service I had to take control of my own health care. The drugs they prescribed had multiple nasty side effects. Alternative treatments and martial arts breathing exercises helped restore my lung function.

Even though my blood pressure and blood tests are normal I probably should lose a bit of weight. I do have a C-pap for sleep apnea. It would be nice to try and get off the machine. Part of the reason I'm so good at alternative energy systems is that I want to keep my c-pap going. If I go without it I'm fine for a while, but over time I don't get quite enough rest. The effects add up.

With that in mind I've ordered a new scale. It's been 8 years since my last doctor's appointment and I've gained another 20 pounds since them. Maybe it's all muscle? Probably not. Time to start going the other way.

I am a lot more active than the average big fat guy, so that's in my favor. My follow up doctor's visit is on June first and the odds are it'll be some time before I see a doctor again. Of course, I could always do something stupid that puts me in the emergency room. Even I will go to a doctor if a bone is sticking out.

-Sixbears

11 comments:

  1. Good morning ,

    If you haven't seen this blog- Marksdailyapple- it might give you some helpful ideas.


    I know I have metabolic syndrome ( years of being bad) and struggle with weight gain just by looking at carbs (beer) etc.

    I followed the paleo/ primal and did well on a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. Walking daily and lifting. It has to be a lifestyle change to work. I lost -40lbs. Needless to say I fell off the routine and life got in the way so the weight came back.

    The past few months I have been back on track and feel better.


    If you check out Marksdailyapple read some of the success stories.

    Also, one other book that pointed me in the right direction was this one:


    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Low-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a subscriber to Mark's. I need more veggies in my diet, much as I hate to admit it.

      Delete
  2. Jim..sounds like you're in better health than I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, wrong name. Sixbears you are healthier than I right now. Sorry about the mixup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob. Glad I'm doing something right with my health, or maybe it's just good luck genetics wise.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, BFHG - nice to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe fat is as bad as they want you to think. They just want to sell more un-needed drugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a follow up meeting with the Dr.. I'm curious to see if he'll try and push drugs on me even though I healthy.

      Dr.'s want to give people meds just because they are over 50.

      Delete
  6. It's always good to find out something that has been in the back of your mind can be crossed off the list. I wish I could say it's been a long time since I went to the doctor, but the older you get the harder that record is to maintain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was easy when I didn't have any medical insurance. Did not even go to the emergency room when I most definitely should have.

      Delete