StatCounter

Saturday, May 21, 2016

First launch of the season



We finally had enough decent weather so I could finish up the little projects on the boat. I'm still waiting for a new main sail, but that should be easy enough to change out. The old sail is good enough for our little lake and it was time to launch.

It's nice to have a boat at my beach, ready to go. The state of NH sells fishing licenses on-line so people can print them out at home. I've a boat in the water, a license and fishing poles. This should work out just fine.

My lovely wife had no hesitation getting back on a sailboat. Sails were raised. The wind came up. The boat leaned a bit before leaping forward. Both of us had big smiles on our faces. Nothing like getting back on the water after a shipwreck. Good memories push out the bad.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of talking about the shipwreck. The word has gotten around. When I run into people I haven't seen in a while that's the first thing they want to talk about. While that's understandable, reliving the experience over and over again is getting old.

I find myself stressing that we lived on the boat for months before losing it. Good times were had. There are a lot more photos of remote beaches, gorgeous sunsets, and beautiful anchorages than of a wrecked boat.

Too bad the boat was lost, but a bare boat charter in that area for two weeks costs about what we paid for the boat. We sailed it for months.

We had some good experiences and expect to have many more.

-Sixbears

5 comments:

  1. Can you play "Taps" on your guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about talked my wife into renting a pontoon boat up at lake Chatuge and spending a couple of days out on the island there. It's a lot more comfortable than camping and it would be different. I wouldn't mind sitting on one of their little islands, listening to the radio and looking at the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to get back on the horse that threw you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Nice to see we haven't lost our love of sailing.

      Delete