StatCounter

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Homeless Guy



There's a guy who's moved into a small camper trailer down the road from me. Over the last few weeks I've had a chance to talk with him a bit. One evening he came over to play cards.

The guy was homeless for 5 years and living in Rhode Island. He came into a little bit of money. I'm guessing it was less than $20,000. With that money he purchased a small piece of land with electricity and water, a $600 trailer and a used car. The guy hired someone to tow the trailer next to his lot.

The gravel driveway is too steep to tow the trailer up is so he's had to hire a guy with some heavy equipment to move it for him. He's been busy trying to establish residency, get a mailing address, and all the normal things one does when moving into a new area.

There's been some difficulty as the town laws require a permanent structure on the land before they'll issue a house number. Without the house number he's been unable to transfer his driver's license from Rhode Island to New Hampshire.

The poor guy is a bit overwhelmed. As he put it: for the last five years he's had to make no decisions at all. He's out of practice. One night it got so bad he checked himself into the hospital with an anxiety attack.

It's not easy to get back in the “normal” world. Best I can tell, he got into his situation through a combination of bad luck, bad relationships, and bad decisions. I don't judge. Most people don't realize how easy it is to become homeless -or hard it can be to get back.

I did ask him how he planned on getting through the winter. On November 1st the homeless shelters back in Rhode Island open for the season. Rather than try to stay warm in his trailer he just might go spend the winter in the shelter.

-Sixbears

13 comments:

  1. Lend him a good book on survival. Bore him with useful advise. Be a friend bet he hasn't had one in a while. An 8x12 shed well insulated may solve both his problems. Add a sign Joe's fish camp if any thing is said about its size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas. I am curious to see how he's making out.

      Delete
  2. Live Free or Die....meaningless words celebrated by each successive generation of wimps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only meaningless if you don't personally live it.

      Delete
  3. Building a structure might be out of his financial means. The town codes might specify a minimum size and will likely require a septic system and electric hook up for a permanent dweling. Surely putting it beyond his financial means. But if he owns the land he pays taxes on it. He needs to visit the local county's registry of deeds. The deed has an address to identify the lot. Even if it is not clearly numbered, it can be deduced from abutting properties. I'd use that. Even if some fibbing is required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've encouraged him to talk to certain people at the town hall, but he's afraid to make too many waves. Used to keeping a low profile.

      Delete
  4. In Kansas, the local county's registrar of deeds does have the legal description and street address for public utilities and 911/emergency services. However, addresses on the homes may be different. I got into that, in two small towns I lived in. Both little towns didn't have home delivery so I took in the deed of the property to the local post office and rented a mail box. This tied everything together and established residency for me. I wish him luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did get a PO box and straightened out his electric billing so that's progress.

      Delete
  5. I have never had a mailbox at my residence here in East Texas. I do, however, have a post office box where I get all my mail. Not having a mailbox at my property has caused a problems now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I've got one, the largest allowed by law as I get a lot of mail and packages.

      Delete
  6. Maybe your winters on the road will inspire him to find a way to get everything up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. He seems to be slowing getting things together. Got his trailer moved to the right place and is sorting out other things.

      Delete
  7. I am moving into a camper this week. It's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete