StatCounter

Friday, March 29, 2019

Changing your life


One of my pet peeves is people who complain about something in their lives, but they have the power to change that thing.

It could be the terrible boy or girl friend, their job, where they live -anything at all. When someone points out that those things could be changed all the excuses come out. It drives me nuts. They really don’t want things to change; they want sympathetic noises.

People become comfortable in their misery. It becomes part of their identity. They really don’t know who they’d be without their burden. The years tick on by and nothing changes. At some point they end up in a nursing home with nothing but regret.

Dead at 45

I had a doctor tell me I would be dead by age 45. I was 35 or 36 at the time. It wasn’t a warning to change something in my life or I’d be dead by 45. He just up and stated that I’d be dead before I was 45.

It’s great to be 61. While I did have some tough times, the good times more than make up for it. When you are told you are going to die fairly young there’s no sense wasting any time. As soon as I started to feel halfway decent I starting doing things that I always wanted to do.

I was having so much fun I forgot to die on time. Now one of my goals is to outlive doctors. So far so good. Maybe I was lucky to get a wake up call. People always assume they have more time than they do. Life is too short to get stuck in routines that don’t make you happy.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. When I took a physical 24 years ago, the crotchety old doctor told me that if I didn't lose some weight, I'd be dead in a few years. I gained 150 pounds since then, but he died, not me. 12 years ago, docs told my wife that she'd be dead in 5 years if she did take chemo and radiation. As far as I know, they're still living, but so is my wife. NEVER truly believe a doctor; they only THINK they know something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Doctor told me that I'd only have a ten percent chance of walking again. I took that chance and worked hard at all the Doc said to do. Not only am I walking, I've just finished building the main part of my fence and now starting on the gates.
    Just goes to show that sometimes they know what they're talking about.
    Damn straight , could have ignored them and just sat around eating Doritos and pain meds. Doubt I'd be walking now though.
    Of course then too the Doc said that I couldn't just stop taking my pain meds either...did that too. So they're not always right either.
    Too often we take the easy route in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trick is to know when to listen to the Dr. and when to ignore them. They are just one source of information.

      You really worked darn hard to come back from a near impossible situation. Of course, near impossible is not impossible.

      Delete
  3. You forgot to die on time ? Bad dog - BAD DOG ! :^)

    Decide where and what you want to be and change your Life to become that or closer to it. A problem does crop up - we change priorities as we age and learn too late what we wanted when we were young wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only did I not die, I won my pension case and have been collecting. After all these years they'll probably start to send out hit men.

      Delete
  4. After having a surgery procedure, doctors told my mother, who had a nasty, crippling case of rheumatoid arthritis, to "go home and get your affairs in order." She replied, "I don't think so." She lived another 20 years. I hope I have her kind of determination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was told about ten years ago that I didn't have more than ten years to live. So far so good and I feel pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Dizzy. The world would be poorer without you.

      Delete
  6. lost husband unexpectedly and suddenly changes everything and not necessarily for the better
    young 'uns reading this, think about what would be a nice thing and go after it try to find enjoyment if your boss is horrible, look for another job now the stress is not worth it.

    ReplyDelete