StatCounter

Saturday, March 23, 2019

So this is spring



Here in the Great North Woods of New Hampshire we received about eight inches of heavy wet snow. The snowplow deposited a three foot bank of the heavy wet stuff in front of my driveway. I’ve said for years that March will break your heart. It gives you a few nice sunny days to give you some hope. Then it dashes that hope with an early spring snowstorm.

If that’s not cheering enough, I’m into my third day of a really nasty cold. I got through the whole winter without a bad cold. Then spring comes around and there you go. Oh well, at least I feel too crappy to play with the snow.

Part of the storm was supposed to be rain, but here in the North Country it stayed snow the whole time. There are warmer days on the way or so the weatherman says.

Then there is April. Most people have heard the saying “April showers bring May flowers.”

Here it’s “April blizzards freeze your gizzards.” What, you say? Snow in April? That’s not uncommon at all. In fact a May snowstorm is not out of the question.

However, if I have to guess, we’ll have a faster transition to warmer weather than in the past. In more recent years spring and fall have been shortened. Last fall we got snow cover in October and it never melted. In fact, it’s still here at the bottom of three or four feet of more recent snow. It was like we didn’t get fall at all. This may be one of those years when we go almost directly from winter to spring.

We also have a wetter climate than what we used to have. The State of New Hampshire has quietly recognized the change. They’ve been replacing culverts with ones of much larger diameter. Drainage ditches have been dug deeper.

My guess is that when all this snow starts to melt we are really going to need those road upgrades.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. The weather boy said the other day that we'd seen the last snow here in the Mid-Ohio Valley. We had flurries today and I nearly always leave my studded tires on after the legal deadline of tax day, since we nearly always have a little snow and ice about then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin had a flat tire and decided to put his summer tires rather than trying to get the snow tire fixed. He did that just before the this big storm. It's his fault.

      Delete
  2. Just think , you could have the virus Kathy and I've had...for three weeks now !
    Hacking our days away...
    The stuff just don't wanna go away !
    Meanwhile I'm still trying to build a fence lol. Only another hirty feet to go. Then it's gate building time. Yippee

    Durn weather has been a yoyo here too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been some cold fronts that have reached pretty deep into Florida. When you aren't used to it you really suffer.

      I'm feeling a bit better today than yesterday, so I've got hope this won't linger.

      Delete
  3. A friend keeps tabs every day on the weather at her house which is not too far from mine. For last year? A total of 90 inches of rain. I wish there had been some snow.- Momlady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of rain. At least you are in good shape for forest fires.

      Delete
  4. Cold down here this morning, around 35. The ATL weather says it'll hit 55 or so in the mountains. At least it's clear, no rain around. I hope I can get motivated and get outside to do some work around the place today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stuck inside nursing my cold while my lovely wife went out and dealt with the snow. I don't like that feeling at all, but the last thing I need is to abuse my health.

      Delete