StatCounter

Monday, March 25, 2019

Truck Hunting



I’ve been giving some thought to buying an old truck. It will have to be an old one as my budget is limited. It gives me something to do while healing up. At least I can search on-line sites for interesting vehicles.

Trucks, even old trucks, are popular, but I’ve got a few advantages. One big thing in my favor is that I’d prefer a manual transmission. Over the years I’ve had to replace three automatic transmissions. Compare that to the one time I replaced a clutch. Not only was it a lot cheaper, I did the job in my dad’s driveway. A lot of people don’t know how to drive standard, so that reduces the pool of interested buyers.

Another thing in my favor is that two wheel drive is preferred over four wheel drive. Most people here in the snow country want a 4X4. While four wheel drive is nice is the snow, the trade offs aren’t worth it. Two wheel drive is easier to maintain and gives better fuel mileage. My plan is spend the better part of next winter down south and avoid the snow. Not only that, I’m retired. If the snow is too deep I can stay home.

A lot of younger people are looking for lifted trucks. Unless a truck has been lifted at the factory, I don’t want it. Custom lift jobs usually cause a lot of problems. Too much stress is put on parts not designed for it. For example, universal joints end up working at angles that wear them out quicker. I’m looking for a plain Jane truck.

Of course, these are just guidelines. If a low mileage automatic transmission 4X4 comes my way for the right price I could still go that way. While the odds of that are long, it’s not impossible. Never close the door on something just because it’s unlikely.

-Sixbears

10 comments:

  1. If you can get one that's REALLY old, it would be EMP proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, really old vehicles have pretty much dissolved into piles of rust due to heavy road salt use.

      Delete
  2. Cash for Clunkers killed off a lot of what would now be available good vehicles. Stupid program, as the people who really needed help were the ones on the far side (older vehicles) that didn't qualify for any help at all. Thus, on the roads today we have relatively nice vehicles and serious beaters, with very little in between.

    Government, always willing to make a problem where there isn't one.

    Good luck with the truck search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of good vehicles hit the scrap heap back in 2009. Thanks Beans. I'll find something.

      Delete
  3. I'll keep my eyes open for you.
    Old trucks and the northeast means less than ten years old lol, with the salted roads ?
    Out west in the Rockies would be the best values , but expensive to get here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rust undercoating has gotten a lot better so there are some solid older trucks. I'd like to get something local so my trusted mechanic could hook it up to his testing machine and see what codes come up.

      There were a lot of previously flooded vehicles for sale in FL after the last hurricanes. Some of those got shipped north to be sold as Florida cars never experienced winter. Buyer beware.

      Delete
  4. What cab size are you looking for ? Four doors - three - two ? Is tool box a requirement or would you rather have the bed space ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four wheel drive vehicles are great in the south, too. They are great for running the beaches, etc. I live in Texas and have a four-wheel drive Jeep Liberty. Yes, I can also pull it behind my RV with it put in free wheeling mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One problem with 4X4 vehicles in the south is too often they aren't used in 4X4 mode often enough. They seize up from lack of use. As long as people use them it's not a problem.

      Delete