StatCounter

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

There go the neighbors?



The weather got above freezing so everyone was out and about yesterday. It was a good day for me to go outside and do some walking. I got to talk with folks living around the lake. Apparently, it was a rough winter for all of us.

My side of the lake is hilly. Driveways are steep. One neighbor told me he’s thinking of selling his place. His driveway is long, winding, and steep. We had a storm that left us with four inches of slush on the ground that froze solid. It took him four days with am ice chisel to clear his driveway. The guy is well up into his 70s so maybe he probably shouldn’t be messing with that anymore.

We give up on parking next to the house. One of the first projects I did after buying the place was to make some parking spots on my land across the road. That gave me parking on the same level as the road. My driveway by the house becomes a narrow path that we sand heavily.

Another neighbor just came back from from two weeks in Florida. She’s starting to catch on why her sister spends six months of the year down there.

My new neighbor across the street has spent the winter plowing using a 4X4 ATV. He’s been out there all hours of the day or night. The guy already needs a back operation so he’s constantly in pain. Arizona is looking good to him.

The thing is, most of my neighbors are getting up in age. One of the things that puts people in nursing homes is taking a bad fall. When you are dealing with ice on the ground for half the year, the odds start to run against you.

I’m not a kid anymore myself. While I’ve no plans to sell the place, I definitely don’t want to spend the winter here in the frostlands. Aging kinda sucks.

-Sixbears

12 comments:

  1. It beats the alternative though. At least, I think it does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been a cold winter down here along the Gulf Coast, but no ice this time around, and just a few frosts. Spring is definitely here. Good luck with your melts ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was greeted with several inches of new snow this morning and it's still coming down.

      Delete
  3. Heck , even our winter's here in central Flauduh are too cold for my broken old body.
    About half way through the fence project !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched those cold fronts drop deep into FL this winter. Brrrrrr. When you are expecting warm, it's tough. Sounds like great progress on the fence. Nice!

      Delete
  4. Slow and steady and having a staff for walking through the 'tricky parts' might be a good idea. You are right - a fall often triggers a long convalesense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a good walking stick and could probably use some trecking poles too.

      Mainly, I should just avoid the snow and cold.

      Delete
  5. Yep, my Mother always said that getting old wasn't for sissies.

    ReplyDelete