StatCounter

Thursday, March 28, 2019

The cost of being injured



This has been an expensive winter, mostly due to my being injured. Doctor and hospital expensive were bad enough, but the cost doesn’t stop there. My painful injury prevented me from doing a lot of money saving things that would normally get done.

When I was in the hospital I told my lovely wife to order another heating oil delivery. There was no one home home to put wood in the stove. The hospital had me hooked up to tubes and my lovely wife was either visiting me or running all the errands that had to be done.

Then the water heater died. Normally it would be no big deal to do the job myself. Have you any idea how difficult it was to have to actually hire someone? Thank goodness my son-in-law was able to help and that kept the costs down.

The electric bill is much higher than normal. When my supply line froze the right way to fix it would have been to dig it all up where it entered the basement and redo the insulation around it. Being in too much pain for that, my quick and dirty solution was to use an electric heater and run it 24/7.

My leg is improving, but the doctor warned me to be very careful with it and to limit my time on my feet. As you can imagine there’s a huge backlog of projects just waiting for me. Right now the deep snow is still an issue. There’s at least three feet of snow in most of my yard. Once that’s done there’s a lot of projects to choose from.

As much as I’m looking forward to diving into those projects, I’m going to force myself to take it easy. It’s a matter of picking and choosing the easier or more critical ones and moving up from there. Going back to the hospital does not interest me at all. Self care is priority job one.

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. I feel for you man...
    Had a few years recently, that I couldn't do anything. The backlog was huge too.
    Haven't caught up yet either lol.

    Isn't this the way of life though ?
    Always trying to catch up with the stuff we've been putting off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, never put off for tomorrow what can be put off forever.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it's just choosing the lesser of ten evils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave me a chuckle today Gorges. Got that right.

      Delete
  3. Getting old is no fun, I know because I'm there. Things that used to take 15 minutes now take all day and I pay for it the next 2 days.
    Take care of that leg because the next time it's an issue may be the last time you can do anything by yourself. Enjoy old age while you can because even that ends before you planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am being super careful with the leg. Made a lot of changes in the way I do things. Frankly, there are things I'm just not going to do because it's too easy to injure myself.

      Delete
  4. I'm to the point that I just pay someone else to do what needs to be done, if I can afford it. If I can't afford it, I just wait!

    ReplyDelete