StatCounter

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Winter Joys



We received a few inches of snow. Then it rained, making a heavy slushy mess. I headed out with my shovel to remove the snowbank before it turned into an 18 inch wall of ice. 


I was a bit dishearten to see my mailbox had been clipped by the snowplow. It was a crumpled mess sitting in my driveway. Lovely. A bit of hammering turned it back into something resembling a mailbox. Now it’s lashed to the pole until a new one can be purchased. 


It could have been worse. 


One year a plow, in a two mile stretch, destroyed over a dozen mailboxes and damaged over 300 trees. He also managed to destroy a boat on a trailer that was parked in a driveway. The plow caught the bow of the aluminum boat and peeled it open like a sardine can. 


Some years ago I stopped at local mom and pop store for some gas early in the morning. The plow truck pulled to the store. The driver almost fell getting out of the truck. About a half dozen empty beer cans fell out with him. There were plenty more still on the floor of the cab. Yeah, his contract wasn’t renewed. 


Plowing is a tough job at best of times. Being up all night plowing during a storm causes bad fatigue. I’m cutting the plow guy a little slack this time. The mailbox was getting old anyway. 


However, if he clips my new one . . . 


-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. The former Hiway. Supe. next town over used to make his guys get you a new box and install it. My town they would just say "oops" but after enough people complained, they now weld a steel post to a tire rim and say good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mailbox is on a steel post. The wing caught the box part and ripped that right off. I suppose I could complain and get them to buy me a new one. However, to be honest, I was going to replace it in the spring anyway. They don't last forever.

    ReplyDelete