StatCounter

Friday, May 3, 2024

That Strange Plumber Guy



That would be me. The plumbing in my basement is very visible. It looks like the History of plumbing down there. New materials have been added over the years. Several types of plumbing have been discontinued. Repairs and additions can be problematic. Sometimes the new stuff doesn’t fit with the old stuff. 


Then there’s stuff that isn’t like any normal house. For example my water heater is no longer in the basement. It’s hidden in a closet on the first floor. Why? That’s so I can hook it up to a water coil on the  kitchen woodstove and get a decent amount of BTUs from burning wood. 


Another odd thing is my pressure tank. In normal houses they’d be found on the basement floor. Mine is suspended just below the basement ceiling. That was to protect it from freezing. Cold sinks. Heat rises. Mounting the tank high keeps it where it’s warm.


Unfortunately my mounting rack suffered some rot over the years. Yesterday I had to drain everything, jack the tank back up and rebuild the rack. It was a pain. I got wet and annoyed but the job got done. 


While down there I noticed one of my water filter housings has developed a leak. Something in the built in shut off is failing. That’s the next project. 


After that I’m going to pop the cover off the well and inspect the pump and everything else down there. 


All part of the joys of being a home owner with a DIY bent. At least everything held together until spring. Playing with water in the winter is no fun at all. 


-Sixbears

2 comments:

  1. LOL, at least you KNOW your system and I bet you're a bit of a packrat about hording odd fittings and such.

    Am a bit alarmed about a pressure tank hanging from the cellar ceiling. I hear your cold sinks idea but if that failed suddenly what a noisy wet issue that would create. Do you have a quick off valve if a big bang occurred?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a shut off switch for the pump upstairs. The basement is unfinished so some leakage won't damage anything.

      I really do packrat lots of bits and bobs.

      Delete