StatCounter

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Tornadoes



Tornadoes aren’t much of an issues here in Northern New Hampshire. Sure, we get the occasional twister but they aren’t too huge and don’t last very long in the mountains. While not bi it’s a far cry from when I was a kid and “we just don’t get tornadoes in New Hampshire.” 


However, my lovely wife and I have relatives and friends in tornado alley. We follow the news and our ears really perk up when we start to recognized the names of the towns affected. So far our people have been safe. There’s more tornadoes on the way.


Unlike something like a hurricane tornadoes pop up with little warning. If all goes well you only really have seconds to get under cover. If it was me I’d have a full blown tornado shelter if I lived in that area. The destructive force of a such a storm is nothing to take lightly. People die.


Some years ago a friend lived in trailer on some rural land in Kentucky. Some NH friends and I stopped in for a visit. The guy showed us his storm shelter. It was made of reinforced concrete and was sunk into the side of a hill. He had emergency supplies -a half gallon of whiskey and a half gallon of vodka. I guess you might as well have a few drinks if your house is being blown away.


-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. We've been through several hurricanes but never really been concerned. On the other hand , the tornadoes that come embedded with the feeder bands inside the hurricanes are scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had to avoid a few of those FL tornadoes myself -a couple of times while on a small sailboat.

      Delete
    2. Must have been exciting motoring in a very slow sailboat trying to evade a waterspout.

      3-4 knots vs 20 mph exciting.

      I've seen a few waterspouts but none close enough to scare me. Squall Lines, NOW THAT's a scary time.

      Delete