StatCounter

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Anybody still wear wristwatches?



I know some people, like nurses, wear them for their job. How many ordinary people still wear them? Hipster’s being ironic? Women using them as jewelery? Men using them as jewelery?

When I was a kid it was a big deal to own a watch. Now that most people carry cell phones, there’s really not much need for a separate timepiece. Kids today are getting phones at about the age I first starting wearing a watch.

I didn’t wear them for long though. I’m one of those people, who for whatever reasons, watches don’t keep proper time. Old wind up pocket watches seem to hold up better, but even those would get wonky on occasion. Weird.

Back when I wore a watch it became habitual to constantly check the time. That actually disturbed me a bit and soon after I stopped carrying a watch. I didn’t know how to describe my unease with that back then. Thinking back on it, somehow constantly checking a watch took me out of experiencing the now.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience. Lots of people who used to wear watches no longer do so. Does it affect their perception of time or are clocks so ubiquitous now that not having a watch doesn’t matter?

Suddenly cultural and technological changes take place. Long held practices fade away pretty quickly. What once was normal and common becomes rare.

-Sixbears



16 comments:

  1. Nope....I still wear a watch every day, and it is a Timex. On those rare days I forget to put it on, I cannot wait to get home and track it down. Sure I have cell phones....but they tend to irritate my wrist when I try to use it as a watch....and they get hot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to find a good wrist band for you cell phone. :)

      Delete
  2. Yup I do.
    Not digital Tho.
    Back up Compass ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a pain to do the backup compass thing with a digital. Much simpler to just use the hour hand, the "12" and the sun. . . or . . . I'll trade you nice watch if you'll tell me the direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like anything on my wrist so I carry a pocket watch. Don't look at it much, and don't depend on the cell phone for the time. Only time I worry about the time is when I have an appointment to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice when it's possible to live most of one's life independent of clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up wearing a wristwatch at least six or seven years ago. I'm mainly a desk jockey, being a CAD draftsman so if I need to know what time it is, a glance at bottom right hand corner tells me the time and date instantaneously.

    When away from desk, time just flies, its day time or night time, thats all I have to know, and I don't need a clock for that. 8^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time, no matter how you measure it, certainly does fly.

      Delete
  7. Hermit's Baby SisMay 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM

    Hey SixBears -

    I still wear a wristwatch, a commerative one given to me by the company I work for. I know Hermit Jim and my husband gave them up the day they retired, but I'm too old fashioned to depend on a cell phoen for the time. I don't even carry mine with me at all times, imagine!

    Enjoying your blog daily, even if I don't comment -

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've worn the same analog-face, solar-powered Elgin for the past 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister "kills" regular watches too. She has to have digital. Something to do with body chemistry I guess...

    I have to wear a watch because so many things at work are timed. I don't look at the watch much, just a glance now and then since my "internal clock" has pretty much gotten the rhythm down pat after six years and change. Additionally, I used to SCUBA dive. My watch (a gift from my Mom and Dad) is a nice Wenger dive watch which I've had for about 12 years now. It's on it's 3rd battery, been down to 120 feet underwater repeatedly, been banged around, and is still tickin'. However, on my days off I leave it on my dresser because I could care less what time it is. Oh, and I don't have a cell phone. Don't want one either : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phyllis (N/W Jersey)May 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM

    Don't feel dressed without one. Old habits die hard. I recently treated myself to a Swiss Army watch. Keeps great time, glows in the dark and it's waterproof. (Don't have to worry about it when I do the dishes)!
    I just don't bother with setting the date - that little window is just too darn small...

    ReplyDelete