StatCounter

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Night at the Acoustic Cafe



One nice thing about the economic situation in my area, the local musicians are getting really good. Fewer of them have day jobs to cut into their music.

My lovely wife and I went to listen to a buddy of mine play. He just came back from working a cruise ship in the Mediterranean. He used to have day jobs, but he’s been a full time musician for a few years now. It pays the bills, but he has to be away from his family for months at a time.
The place is set up with a lot of big round tables. Unless you come with a big group, odds are you are going to share a table with strangers. That’s fine too. How else do strangers become people you know?

At the end of night, my buddy came over and we compared how we spent the winter. The guy on the other side of me jumped into the conversation when he heard I was into sailing. He used to sail, and had a sailboat just sitting in his driveway. He really wants to sell it.

It’s a Macgregor 25. I’ve looked at them before. Not a bad boat if the price is right, and it appears the guy is motivated to get his driveway space back. He lives a bit of a drive up the road, but it turns out he’s neighbors with a cousin of mine. My lovely wife and I have been planning on driving up for a visit. Might as well check out the boat.

Do I need another trailer sailer? Of course not. So what?

-Sixbears

8 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. When I get that 'want itch,' it bugs the life out of me even when my common sense takes a nose dive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been known to resist -naw, not really. My wife is an enabler for crazy ideas, that often aren't really that crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phyllis (N/W Jersey)May 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

    Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.
    Enjoy your new boat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't bought it yet, but I am tempted. Depends on the conditon and final price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a little restaurant we went to in Youngsville NC that played music on Friday nights - then the darn place burned down.

    There was another place in same little town we went to that had a tractor trailer miss its turn and ran through the middle of the building - people in it but noone hurt.

    Granted this is all over an extended period of time, but I still feel like we are not exactly a good luck charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'd sure love to have one of those!

    ReplyDelete