StatCounter

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hand me that piano



One of the cool things I got to do over the long weekend was to deliver a piano to my five year old granddaughter. My daughter found one on Freecycle. An 81 year old woman was moving out of her condo and in with her daughter. She had that piano since she was a little girl but had to give it up. I think she felt better that it was going to another little girl just learning to play piano.

My daughter, son-in-law and myself loaded it up in my ambulance to motorhome conversion vehicle. I’d just recently taken out a lot of medical hardware so there was a good solid flat surface to set it on. I’ve some metal loading ramps, plus we took along some 8 foot 2 X 6 lumber. You never know what you’ll have to do to move something.

The piano had to go up one flight of stairs and through a few doors. It fit, but just barely. Years ago I used to move furniture for a living. Some things you don’t forget. We were careful and didn’t ding or scratch anything. Pianos are heavy so you really want to get things right the first time.

Unloading it went well. All we had to do was unload it from the vehicle and bring it down a walkway into the house. No stairs involved at all.

My granddaughter immediately set up her practice book and started playing her very own piano. It was a big step up from a little keyboard. There’s something special about the sound of a real piano.

After the piano was all set up, I took advantage of my daughter’s hot tub. I figured a good long session with the massaging jets would be just the thing for strained muscles. That probably helped as I was only a tiny bit stiff the next day. When you get in your 50s you don’t take your back for granted.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. Good for her...little girls need their very own pianos. My granddaughter's is in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right. We had a piano in my house when the kids were little.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Alas, I lack that level of accomplishment.

      Delete
  3. That's awsome! I bet your granddaughter was thrilled. Good to hear you didn't end up with back trouble, you may have to do a little dancing to some piano tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty cool. Definitely will enjoy her playing. She's a pretty neat kid.

      Delete