StatCounter

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Passports



I have got to get a passport. Sadly, I’m one of the majority of Americans without one. It was one thing when Canada and Mexico could legally be crossed without one. North America is big and varied. Living near the Canadian border, I used to cross over with a nod and a wave. Those were the days. The border was treated like the imaginary line that it was. Now that security is big business, we all need passports.

A friend of mine has a fishing camp way up in Newfoundland. I’d love to go there sometime. It would be fun. The place can only be reached by boat. Legally, an American can only stay in Canada for 6 months at a time. My friend, however, can stay as long as he wants. He reclaimed long lost ties with a Native tribe in Canada. It took a DNA test to prove his connection, but he’s now accepted -both by the tribe and the Canadian government. How cool is that?

Now for Canada I could just get a passport card. They are cheaper and would allow me to enter the country by land or sea. However, I might as well just spring for a passport. If you are going to go the paperwork route, might as well go all the way. Besides, if other travel opportunities present themselves, I’ll be ready.

Most of my kids have passports. I’ve a five year old grandkid who’s getting one. It’s enough to get me off my butt and gathering up my paperwork. America is feeling a bit cramped of late.

-Sixbears



5 comments:

  1. I don't have a passport and don't intend to get one. I have been to Canada many times and have no desire to leave the USA ever again. Too much of the USA that I haven't seen yet and probably will never get to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a passport and probably wouldn't use it if I did.

    Too many places I've yet to see here in the U.S.A.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No passport here either. If and when I ever do get to travel, it will be because the police state that requires passports will be no more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having a passport in your situation would be a requirement.

    The fact that you have a sailboat and could bug out to any number of Caribbean islands if the need arose would be a mighty handy thing to have.

    After getting a US passport, you should travel down to Dominican Republic for a second passport. The whole process takes 3 years total but can be done for less than $3500 as of now.

    Comes in mighty handy to not be identified as an American citizen when traveling abroad, whom are generally seen by most foreigners as affluent. It is the difference between a US $300 bribe and a DR 400 Peso bribe.

    From experience, I speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting advice. Could be handy too.

      Delete