StatCounter

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Jury Duty



I received a letter in the mail informing me that I have to report for jury duty. My first day was supposed to be on February 14. That didn't fit very well with my plans on staying in Florida until sometime in March.

The first thing I did was to call the court clerk and explain that I was on vacation in Florida. No problem, she said, just write a note explaining that I won't be back in time and they'll reschedule. They are used to dealing with snowbirds.

This is not the first time I've been called to jury duty. In fact, it's the third. The first time I was an active duty firefighter and was excused because I was on call 24/7.

The second time I showed up and was picked to serve on two different juries. The first one the defense had me removed immediately. The second one the prosecution had me removed. They have the right to reject a certain number of jurists without having to give any reason. My guess is that in both cases, they could not figure out how I'd vote.

This time could be interesting. I'm a big believer in jury nullification. That's where the jury rules not against the defendant, but against the law itself. Judges don't like that. Too bad. It's my conscience.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. I never thought anything good would come from having a messed up and fused lower back but it gets me out of jury duty every time.
    I can't sit for extended periods, I have a nerve in my lower back that goes down the back of my leg that gets pinched and my damn leg goes to sleep. It gives me fits sometimes and goes to sleep just standing around.
    Then I have to sit down and get off of it. Makes no damn sense.Ain't a lot of fun either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's looking on the bright side. Still, doesn't sound like much fun, like you said.

      Delete
  2. SixBears -

    I'm one of those strange individuals who enjoy jury duty. Not only do I consider it a privilege as well as a duty, but I like seeing the concepts of the founding fathers put into action. I don't try to wriggle my way out as so many of my friends do, 'cause I figure if I'm on the other side of the table some day, I hope there will be somebody in the box other than just those who don't know how to get out of serving. Good for you for re-scheduling - no sense in cutting your vacation short when you can serve later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, I'd rather not have to do it, but it is a duty. At least they didn't have a problem with rescheduling.

    I am going to have to buy some new clothes for this and Henry David Thoreau said:

    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very weird. Just got called myself this past week.
    Also the 3rd time.
    Also never got picked.
    Also for Feb.
    And also told them I favor nullification-- true, not just trying to get out of it, as don't mind serving.
    And, finally, I also asked for a delay.

    Unfortunately, I'm not on vacation in FLA. Listening to the below-zero windchill whip past my window here in flyover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird indeed.

      Wish you could join us here in the sunshine.

      Delete