StatCounter

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Reschedule and communications

Reschedule and communications

I got the boat almost ready for a good trip. All it needs is the rest of the provisions and our clothes. We had originally thought Sunday might be a good time to head out. Now we've decided to postpone and let the next cold front move through. We'll just stay later. Dad is happy to have us around for a bit longer.

The blog will most likely not get updated at least part of the time. Wifi is pretty sketchy out where we are heading. I do use an Alfa USB Wireless WiFi Network Adapter. It is easy to use, cheap, and gives significant signal boost. However, I know from past experience that even with a boost, a usable wifi signal is unlikely. It's still worth a try, as conditions change from year to year.

Now some people may wonder why I don't use my smart phone as a hot spot to update my blog. That's an easy one. I don't have a smartphone. All I have is a cheap Tracfone. We only use a cell phone while traveling, and this fits the bill. My phone expense runs about $80/year.

Our fall plans are for a much longer sailing trip. Maybe for that trip I'll get a smartphone. One of the Samsung Galaxy Android phones looks pretty cool. Right now, I just can't justify the expense.

While Internet connection is nice, and even useful, on the water it's the marine radio that will get my attention.

-Sixbears

11 comments:

  1. You'll have to find you a McDonald's with slip privileges and WiFi where you can sail in and keep us updated. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't go buying expensive smartphones, they're really not that clever and while we'll miss you, we'll cope.
    Just go and have fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever I do, there'll be a good reason and it'll be the most inexpensive way to go. :)

      Delete
  3. ...stay tracfone, no new tech, GPS is only rarely your friend, CBs, two ways, and weather alert on the road, marine on the water,etc...

    ...have some fun, update when ya can, enjoy it brother, be careful, don't worry 'bout us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. I'm picky about the tech I spend money on.

      Delete
  4. Read you every day Brother Bear. Safe travels to ye!

    BriarPatch

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe a vacation is a time to get away from everything electronic as much as possible. While having a telecommunication device of some kind in case of emergency is a good idea, the rest can wait until I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what will happen this trip.

      I thought it might be fun to follow my adventures on the ICW in the fall. I bet even without a smart phone, there will be wifi in a lot of places.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to your photos of this year's sailing adventures. Have fun with the Mrs. and the sailor dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. Hope to have some good photos again this year.

      Delete