StatCounter

Monday, January 7, 2013

The diver's knife




One winter my lovely wife found ourselves in a campground on Key Largo. One of the guys staying at the campground was a Brit, in Florida for some scuba diving.

He was all excited to show me his dive knife. It looked like an all right knife to me, nothing special: stainless steel, big grippy handle, and with about a 5 inch pointed blade. It seemed like a practical sort of knife for cutting a tangled harness or freeing oneself from an abandoned fishing net. In short, it appeared to be an adequate knife for the job.

The diver seemed overly excited about a fairly ordinary knife. What I did not know at the time was that that sort of knife was illegal in England. For him, being able to carry such a knife was a big thrill.

Maybe I should have shown him my hunting knifes, a long fillet knife and the 2.5 foot machete that I was using to open coconuts. None of these blades are illegal in my home state of NH, so I don't think twice about taking them along. They are useful tools for a camping trip.

Personally, I could not imagine getting into a knife fight. I own guns.

If guns were out of the picture and I had to defend myself, a knife would still not be my second choice. That would be my hiking stick. It has a lot more reach than a knife -and I'm a trained staff fighter.

Can't wait for them to outlaw sticks.

-Sixbears


11 comments:

  1. I have a beautiful Silky Zubat pruning saw with a curved blade that I keep in my housebus in case of a nasty person trying to get in.
    No sane person would be silly enough to try and grab it, it would take their hand off.
    Well I hope they don't, what a mess, yuck, all that blood over my steps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As one career ex-burglar put it, no sane robber would go into an occupied house(bus). So anyone who does either (1) has no clue what they are doing, (2) are out of their minds on drugs, or (3) are planning on killing you anyway, all of which make them extremely dangerous.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou John.
      I'll try and bear those three thoughts in mind, perhaps I'll write them down and ask the next person who tries to get in to fill in a questionaire as to whether they're number 1, 2 or 3 or all of the above. Usually I find intruders so compliant when asked to give details of their plans.
      I'll let you know what happens of course...

      Delete
    3. The pruning saw sounds kinda nasty. It would make a mess, so it's best to make sure the mess is necessary.

      Delete
    4. Whoops okay I guess I need to finish that thought... if someone breaks into you're home when you're there, they are automatically dangerous, and if they don't run away at the first sign you're there, then yes, you need to take them down by whatever means necessary, regardless of the mess.

      Delete
  2. Don't give 'em any ideas Sixbears - ASSAULT STICKS WILL PUT YOUR EYE OUT! 8^)

    Diver's knife, I had one of those long ago. The synthetic leg sheath was very uncomfortable to wear and you had to contort yourself to reach it to draw it out. But it did look kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you deprive an old man of his support?

      As long as you look cool, what's a bit of discomfort?

      Delete
  3. The fact that you are trained may, in some states, make it illegal for you to use a "stick." Better not mention the training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At your advanced age was your teacher with a walking stick GANDLOF or FRIER TUCK ?:}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Funny.

      No my teacher is more like Bruce Lee. I'm the one who looks like a cross between Gandlof and Tuck.

      Delete