Thursday, April 26, 2012

Out with the old

I’m gathering a load for the dump. That’s a “transfer station,” for you young folk. The big items so far are a sofa and a dishwasher.

The sofa had to be cut up for removal. New railings had been installed after the sofa had been brought upstairs. It was easier to cut up the sofa than to remove the railings. Once cut into bite sized chunks, I easily removed the pieces myself.

That white appliance is a dishwasher. It hasn’t run for a while, but I kept putting off its removal. Pulling it out wasn’t all that hard, but one thing leads to another. Plumbing had to be removed and it was hardwired to the electrical panel. While I was in the electrical panel, I noticed a loose connection, so I tightened everything.

In my quest to simplify life, the dishwasher won’t be replaced. Instead, I’m going to build a better drying rack so hand washing will go quicker. Every energy savings adds up. The small time savings from using the dishwasher does not justify buying a new one. Your calculations may be different.

Most of my house sitter’s stuff has been removed. They took good care of the place while we were gone. My daughter and granddaughter’s stuff is mostly put away. There’s still stuff to be organized. With all the shuffling around, I don’t know where all my things are. That’s no big deal as I didn’t know where everything was before people moved in and out.

In between all the house stuff, I’m gathering up junk wood for the woodstove. Temperatures have been in the 30s at night, only getting into the 50s during the day. By the time the heating season truly ends, all the broken branches from storm damage should be cleaned up.

It’s easy to be productive around the house when it’s cool and rainy outside. Once the sun comes out, look for me in the sailboat.



  1. Still looking for ways to live with less "stuff" here. It's too time consuming to organize it all the time!

  2. What did you use to cut the couch into piece? A chain saw? That would leave a lot of saw-dust, but it did need cut up to get it out easily.

  3. There were a few key areas where cuts with a metal blade on the reciprocating saw did the trick. Other parts were unbolted easily enough. All in all, it went better than one would think.

  4. Don't have a dishwasher here so my hands get a daily dish pan soak. After spending money on insecticides we found only three made a difference: the termite spray from a pro; two bags of fire ant granules (kills more than fire ants) and boric acid powder for $2 a pound. Just spread it along wall beneath any carpet (it's not tacked down);beneath all cabinetry & in closets; and between the stud in the screen porch prior to installing interior sheathing.