StatCounter

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Taking everybody with you



One of the downsides of travel is leaving your friends and family behind. Sure, you meet people and make new friends along the way, but there’s something about people you’ve known for many years. They get you.

My lovely wife and I once met a group of people who traveled in RVs together. They were all friends who used to be teachers at the same school. They retired early together so that they could explore RV adventures as a group. We met them over twenty years ago, and we haven’t found another group quite like that.

Possibly it’s the way we travel. Maybe groups like that tend towards higher end RV parks? No idea. I also don’t know how long the teachers traveled together. They’d been traveling less than six months so anything could have happened.

In the sailing community there are people who have larger boats just so they can entertain. They’ll sail off to some exotic location. Friends and/or family fly out to spend vacations with them. It seems to work for them.

My lovely wife and I considered looking at boats large enough for crew. Then it occurred to us that few of our friends and family would visit. Many have busy lives and taking a few weeks off is difficult. Money is an issue. Those who have the time to sail with us for extended periods of time aren’t really into sailing and adventure. It’s surprising how many people we know easily get sea sick. For some reason a lot of people don’t want to put up with tight quarters, storms, sketchy plumbing, bugs, heat, cold, and weird food. Yeah, there’s that, but there are also dolphins, sea turtles, and sun downers on the beach. Some folks don’t think the highs are worth the lows.

Instead of trying to take everyone with us, we go home for at least half the year. That mostly works. Of course, the months of travel and adventure change a person. The people back home don’t quite get you the way they used to.

-Sixbears

6 comments:

  1. I don't remember how I found your blog but I enjoy your postings. I sail a Com-pac16, a sturdy little shoal draft sailboat that is easy for me to launch, rig, and sail by myself. I've owned bigger sailboats but haven't found many others,including my wife, who have the time or enthusiasm to sail with me as often as I like so I was thrilled to come across the 16.

    We also spend about 6 months away from home, heading south, but no longer wander during the winter as we used to. We look at it as having a summer camp and a winter camp with two very different communities that we enjoy living in.

    The temps here in Northern Minnesota are flirting with freezing at night and not getting much above the 50's during the day so we are beginning to prepare for our annual migration, the summer birds have already preceded us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Com-pac 16 is capable nice little boat. They also have nice pretty lines.

      We've kicked around the idea of having a regular place down south, but we still have wanderlust. One of the places we were looking at got seriously damaged in a hurricane a few years ago, so I'm glad we didn't own it when it did.

      Delete
  2. The biggest boats that I have had were all canoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once built a 20 foot cedar strip canoe. That's one foot longer than my current sailboat. :)

      Delete
    2. I had a few but my favorite two were a Kennebec and an Old Town.

      Delete
    3. I've an Old Town Discovery that I've gotten good service out of.

      Delete