StatCounter

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Trump Care



My medical coverage fiasco continues. Years ago I had to let go of my state insurance place when basic coverage for just me reached a thousand dollars a month. That’s a lot of money for someone on a state disability pension.

For a couple years I was on Obama Care. The only claim I made on it in two years was for a yearly checkup. Then that insurance became too expensive and covered too little, so the plan was dropped. In fact, my plan was crappy enough that the company was banned from doing business in the State of New Hampshire.

I paid out of pocket for my doctor’s visits after that. However, when I became hospitalized for nearly a week, the bill was much more than I could handle. For a number of months I tried to come to some sort of agreement with the hospital. They have a plan in place for people without insurance.

The problem with that plan is that to qualify I had to have exhausted Social Security options. What they could never get into their heads was the fact I wasn’t in Social Security. To be fair, most people are, but there are exceptions and I was one of them. Instead of paying into SS I paid into a state plan. NH firefighters were exempt from SS.

Apparently, because of that little glitch, my application for assistance was denied. It would have been nice if they’d told me. After months of dealing with their process they quietly sent my case into collection.

What that means is that I’m now in the Trump Care system. Thanks to the example set by the President I know what to do: not pay my bills. If I have to I’ll declare bankruptcy. After all, like Trump said, it’s just good business. It’s a strangely liberating experience.

I also owe money to the doctors’ offices as they are separate from the hospital. Unlike the hospital, they were quick to come to a payment arrangement with me. I’ve been making monthly payments and will until the bill is paid. I do what I can. However, when what they want is impossible . . . it’s impossible.

-Sixbears

3 comments:

  1. It's certainly one heck of a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have seen similar even with my insurance. Went to the ER twice last year, and both times the contracted ER doc is not under BLUE CROSS as an out of network doctor. It seems all doctors in the ER are out of network, and hospitals plan for that. Result is I get a separate $500 bill from this doctor (insurance will pay only $100 - out of network). Found out that 20 states legally ban the practice, but most do not. You end up stuck with a stupid high bill, on top of the co-pay and the premiums I pay to insurance. The medical industry is full of tricky scum. They just sent me a bill for the difference at that doctor office. Many are saying I should send this to the state attorney office. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May parents had "good" insurance, yet still went bankrupt from the non-covered portions of the bills.

      Delete