StatCounter

Friday, October 11, 2019

Getting back in the swing of things


Well, the heating oil ran dry. Frankly, I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did. The nights have been cool. No, they’ve been down right cold. Some of the days haven’t been all that warm either.

So now I’m down to firewood. Since we’ll be closing up the house near the end of the month, I really don’t want to invest in a load of heating oil. That can wait until sometime next year. Firewood will have to do.

My wood pile has a fair number of unsplit logs. Last year when I was splitting wood, a lot of the twisty and knotty ones were set aside. Now that’s much of what’s left. Some of them are bad enough that I chainsaw them in half before splitting them smaller.

There I was puttering around the woodpile. It was going fairly well -until I realized how sore and tired the work made me. That long recovery from that nasty infection took more out of me than I realized. That last thing you want to do is swing an ax around when sore and tired. No sense getting injured. Instead of pushing on I took a couple of ibuprofen and had a nap.

Now I’m pacing myself until I get back in the grove of things. I’m not one of those guys who spends a lot of time in the gym. Normally my day to day life gives me a fair bit of exercise. After convalescing for a number of months I really got out of condition. While a lot of progress has been made, now and then some activity knocks me back harder than expected.

A winter of camping and sailing should be just the thing. Looking forward to it.

-Sixbears

4 comments:

  1. 6B,

    I thought you might find this of interst, Heating Oil Cost.

    https://home.costhelper.com/heating-oil.html

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I get my travel money -not heating the house in the winter.

      Delete
  2. Just thinking of giving you an update on gas prices!
    We are about a 1,000 miles down the road from NH. The gas prices in VT, NY, PA average $2.66 per gal. VA $2.29. Spending about $125 a day pulling the 5th wheel as expected! Should be in GA tomorow. The weather perfect! Oh, we are on I-81 and not sure how they would be on I-95.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Happy trails. I usually take 81 to Winchester and then scoot over to 95 on rt. 17. Hope prices stay low until early December when I'm towing the boat south.

      Delete